Port Forwarding not working (PLEASE HELP!)
KevinC45

I have been trying to port forward a Minecraft server for fun, however the port will not open no matter how many times I try. Here's what I've been doing:

Enter 192.168.1.1 in browser and log in. Once on the home screen -> advanced -> port forwarding rules -> add port -> tcp -> any source -> single destination: 25565 (default port for a Minecraft server) -> add port -> udp -> any source -> single destination: 25565 -> apply -> fire wall settings -> typical security -> port forwarding -> select my computer I am on -> select the port forward I had previously created -> add -> resolve now & apply.

The status shows as active, but when I use a site like checkmyports.net, it states that the port is closed.

Is anyone else having port forwarding issues? What's the problem? Did I miss something? Smiley Frustrated 

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Port Forwarding not working (PLEASE HELP!)
KevinC45

I forgot to mention that my router's model is Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I.

I don't know if that will help or not.

0 Likes
smith2630
You need to make incoming port the same as destination. People connecting to your server from outside will be hitting your outside ip with the minecraft port and you want to forward the to your server ip on the same minecraft port. If you use any you are saying forward all traffic to my minecraft server.
0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@smith2630 wrote:
You need to make incoming port the same as destination. People connecting to your server from outside will be hitting your outside ip with the minecraft port and you want to forward the to your server ip on the same minecraft port. If you use any you are saying forward all traffic to my minecraft server.

No, he is correct, the rule should say 

device ip address tcp any -> destination port

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@KevinC45 wrote:

I have been trying to port forward a Minecraft server for fun, however the port will not open no matter how many times I try. Here's what I've been doing:

Enter 192.168.1.1 in browser and log in. Once on the home screen -> advanced -> port forwarding rules -> add port -> tcp -> any source -> single destination: 25565 (default port for a Minecraft server) -> add port -> udp -> any source -> single destination: 25565 -> apply -> fire wall settings -> typical security -> port forwarding -> select my computer I am on -> select the port forward I had previously created -> add -> resolve now & apply.

The status shows as active, but when I use a site like checkmyports.net, it states that the port is closed.

Is anyone else having port forwarding issues? What's the problem? Did I miss something? Smiley Frustrated 

Thanks in advance.

Do you have an application on the internal device that is listening on port 25565?  Port will only report as open if there is a listening appliaction on the port on the destination device.

Try something simple that we know works e.g. remote desktop which uses port 3389

Enable remote desktop on your computer - typically right mouse click my computer, select properties, select remote settings, select remote, select Allow connections any version.

now logon to router 

select firewall settings

select port forwarding

specify ip address of your machine

select Remote Desktop from services - will show tcp any -> 3389 udp any -> 3389

select add

select apply

Now try checkmyport.net and test port 3389

If it doesn't show as open then it sounds like a firewall issue

In either case you'll probably want to go back in and turn off remote desktop access unless you really want to access your machine from the outside.

let us know the results.

0 Likes