Re: Port Forwarding Rejected on new router, old one worked fine
gizzmogeek

My ip addresses are in range.  The range is defaulted to be 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 Change that so that it is

Starting 192.168.1.100

Ending 192.168.1.254

#2 On the computer that you wish to host on, please be sure to setup a Static IP.

http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

#3 If you already setup a Static on that computer, good.

0 Likes
gizzmogeek

Good theory.  However, the Set Top Boxes all start their numbering at 100 and above, the pc's would then conflict with the set top boxes.

And yes, the pc in question is set to static.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

While I am not sure of that, I have a different/theory.

#1 Change the range so that it is.

Starting IP: 192.168.1.10

Ending IP: 192.168.1.254

#2 In the router forward to 192.168.1.5 (the static IP that you setup on the computer).

0 Likes
gizzmogeek

Another good idea.

Still doesn't work.

Set the range as you suggested. Released and renewed all computers. Changed the setup to look directly at the IP address (which I've also done a few times before this too) in port forwarding.  Saved it all.

Tested again.

Still does not work. Bah.  This is annoying.  Are you sure it's not blocked at the Verizon level? Sure as heck seems like it.

0 Likes
CapnCrunch
Contributor - Level 2

I'm not personally familiar with SSH connections.  Have you tried to set up an FTP site to access files on your home computer from a remote computer?  That would require port 21 to be port forwarded.  Just another option.

Another option.  Make sure Windows Firewall or your virus protection is not blocking the port.  Just because you opened it on your router doesn't mean that it is getting through your firewall or virus protection.

Also 3rd party software such as provided at www.logmein.com can provide you remote access to your home pc without having to configure anything.  Just download the software (yes, there's a free version) and you can get remote access.  The paid version supposedly allows you to copy files from the remote pc to the pc you are working on.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Ahzz
Enthusiast - Level 1

I can confirm that for the last 2 weeks I too have had issues with port forwarding. It also started redirecting my DNS lookups for A records that were not found to some search engine. 8-( Additionally it has also started capturing outbound connections such as ssh, http, https, telnet for different IP address ranges.

This has been 100% spontaneous  AFTER a 3 minute long downtime a couple weeks ago. Oddly enough, the router uptime showed that it's being rebooted was the cause of the downtime.

Is verizon monkeying with traffic mangling in an attempt to drive traffic and completely bungled the code?

0 Likes
Ahzz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Interesting. I had a wget script running to let me know how often the redirects are happening. It's now getting past the actiontec router all the way to my server.

However the DMZ host feature that worked in the past STILL isn't letting anything in. It is letting in port 4567 to some unknown service that is NOT open on my DMZ host.

TO Verizon: You sold me internet access. You did not sell me web redirection service, nor dns redirection service. Internet Access means just that. Access to the network that is out there UNIMPEEDED and UNMANGLED.

Everyone else: call your senators and DEMAND that they pass a strong Network Neutrality bill that will protect us from these types of transparent manipulations!

0 Likes
gizzmogeek

"AFTER a 3 minute long downtime a couple weeks ago. Oddly enough, the router uptime showed that it's being rebooted was the cause of the downtime."

Sounds like they remote rebooted your router, which they do on occaision.  And yes, sounds a lot like my issue.  I agree, it seems like they have done something on their end to restrict the services they have sold me.

As far as using logmein, which is a product we use for work and I agree is a fantastic problem, and having the ports open in Windows, I'm not trying to ssh into a windows computer. I'm trying to ssh into a redhat linux computer.  SSH on port 22 is just one of the ports I am trying to use.  I have a couple other ports I've been trying but none of them are working.

I am incredibly frustrated by all of this and very saddened. I've been touting FIOS as the greatest thing since sliced bread for 2 years and gotten a bunch of people to sign up with them.  If this continues, I may have to switch to another provider, and that is the last thing I want to do.  However, this is causing me to be unable to do a very necessary function.  Without that, half the reason to have internet is useless for me.  

0 Likes
gizzmogeek

One more thing, on top of opening all these ports and all the other stuff I've done, before I logged this ticket I tried a ton of things to make this work.  I even went so far as to turn off all security on my router, leaving it WIDE OPEN.  STILL the ports were all closed.  That to me would indicate a larger issue, no?

0 Likes