Port Forwarding (revisited)
johnrut

If anyone has a definitive answer on this, it would be most appreciated.  We're getting a start-up off the ground and we need to be able to have a few guys have access to servers in the basement of one of our crew.  I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of, to no avail:

- I have / am using MI424WR router with *RESIDENTIAL* FIOS Servive

- Set up a proxy host in the DMZ (DMZ Host IP Address)

- Port Forwarding

+ "Specify Public IP Address" is NOT checked

+ TCP Any -> 443 to the IP address

+ Tried this with explicitly setting the destination port ("Specify") and "Same as Incoming Port"

+ Tried using an anonymous port (20000 and 50000) and THEN forwarding to the correct one internally.  Heck, I even changed the port our service was using!

Looking at the system log (which is sparse AT BEST), I can't see ANYTHING inbound.  It would appear Verizon is blocking all inbound ports in their network somewhere...

We're in Arlington.  I realize with the Residential plan we may be in violation of the agreement.  If that's the case, does anyone know the minimum business plan where Verizon does NOT block ports.  Paying extra there is preferable to a data center.

Thanks.  I have not found any definitive statements from Verizon

0 Likes
Re: Port Forwarding (revisited)
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@johnrut wrote:

If anyone has a definitive answer on this, it would be most appreciated.  We're getting a start-up off the ground and we need to be able to have a few guys have access to servers in the basement of one of our crew.  I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of, to no avail:

- I have / am using MI424WR router with *RESIDENTIAL* FIOS Servive

- Set up a proxy host in the DMZ (DMZ Host IP Address)

- Port Forwarding

+ "Specify Public IP Address" is NOT checked

+ TCP Any -> 443 to the IP address

+ Tried this with explicitly setting the destination port ("Specify") and "Same as Incoming Port"

+ Tried using an anonymous port (20000 and 50000) and THEN forwarding to the correct one internally.  Heck, I even changed the port our service was using!

Looking at the system log (which is sparse AT BEST), I can't see ANYTHING inbound.  It would appear Verizon is blocking all inbound ports in their network somewhere...

We're in Arlington.  I realize with the Residential plan we may be in violation of the agreement.  If that's the case, does anyone know the minimum business plan where Verizon does NOT block ports.  Paying extra there is preferable to a data center.

Thanks.  I have not found any definitive statements from Verizon

Well technically, hosting a server is against the TOS. But Verizon only blocks two ports. Port 25 (email) and Port 80 (HTTP)(only blocked in some areas). Neither of which should cause any issues for you. As for the rest of the ports, none of them are blocked by verizon. Now the routers firewall does block them, but port forwarding, or DMZ should take care of that. But a lot of people have issues with port forwarding the actiontec routers. Officially Verizon will not even talk to you about port forwarding as it is an "unsupported" service. Also actiontec usually will not help you either. You can try over at dsl reports. I think they have some tutorials for port forwarding with most routers.

Now a question of my own. Do you have TV service? Or just Internet? Are you using MOCA (coax) internet or Ethernet?

0 Likes
johnrut

I'll check out DSL Reports, thanks.

We have the combo  Internet and TV.  Internet access comes in over the coax cable

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

What port do you want the outside person to be able to access?

In general, you don't want to put the host in the DMZ.   If you want to forward a single port (for example, I forward port 22 so that I can SSH into my Linux system at home), you would want:

Specify Public IP Address -> Unchecked

Networked Computer / Address -> Specify Address (and put the local IP address assigned to it in the box)

Protocol -> Pick one or Add one of your own  (HTTPS is TCP/443)

WAN Connection Type -> All broadband

Forward to Port -> Same as incoming

When should rule occur? -> Always

When connecting from outside, they need to use the currently assigned public IP address of the router -- not the internal address.

A quick review of the TOS for business accounts doesn't make any mention of "hosting a server" as being prohibited unlike the Residential service, so probably just about any business class service would allow you to host a server.   However, I do not represent Verizon nor am I able to say so conclusively, so you should contact the Verizon business office and ask them directly.  Here's the TOS for business accounts:

http://business.verizon.net/SMBPortalWeb/appmanager/SMBPortal/smb?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=SMBPortal_pa...

Given that some have said that port 80 is blocked in parts of the Verizon network (it's not for me), one might imagine that port 443 (SSL web) might also be blocked in such locations as well.