Power supply/adapter for Motorola ONT1000GI4
FrankGrimey
Enthusiast - Level 2

I fell for the three service package when getting FiOS initially. It turned out I didn't use the phone at all and I haven't watched TV in months. I digress, during the install, I noticed the tech installing the battery which, according to him was to facilitate phone calls during power outages.

The battery backup unit started beeping periodically the past few weeks indicating it needs to be replaced (though supposedly, it lasts 5 years and I've had it for just over one.) I decided to disconnect it altogether which is when I realized that the ONT is powered directly by the unit with some proprietary connector that looks similar to an S-video cable.

I would like to purchase a standalone power adapter/cable to power it via wall adapter instead of having to use the big battery which serves no purpose to me aside from taking up space and being an eyesore. Unfortunately, I've been unable to find much info on the ONT model to help me in my search. Also, there's no power information on the ONT indicating the voltage and amps required.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

P/N is 567004-003-00

FA P/N (not sure what this is, but it's on the unit as well) is 573796-003-00

0 Likes
Re: Power supply/adapter for Motorola ONT1000GI4
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You cannot easily replace the power supply / battery unit ("BBU"). The ONT communicates with it to obtain status on power and battery.  It's more than just supplying the correct voltage.

You have several options to deal with the low battery:

• Remove the current battery and press the battery silence button.
  • Re-install the current battery and see if that turns off the warning beep.
  • Buy a new battery.  Online prices are very good.
  • Earplugs.

Note that if you have a battery, the internet will stay up for a minute or two during power outages.  If you want longer run time, you need to supply your own UPS.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
BillKerr1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a battery on the FIOS box that has been working for more than 5 years.  For a while I had the FIOS router and my PC on a UPS.  I found that during a power outage my router and PC stayed on but the internet access was dead.  The phone service still worked.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@BillKerr wrote:

I found that during a power outage my router and PC stayed on but the internet access was dead. 

If you want to keep internet service up during a power failure, you need to plug the ONT (BBU) into your UPS also.  Otherwise, the BBU will shut off power to the TV and internet portions of the ONT after a few minutes (~5) in order to leave as much battery power as possible available for phone service.

0 Likes