Re: Fees Increase in Middle of the Term?
jonjones1
Legend

@m2019 wrote:

I am halfway through my 2 year term and Verizon just increased the dvr and set top box rental fees.  I saw other posts note that only the bundle price is locked, but I checked my original confirmation which only said the estimate could change based on "activation dates, usage, adjustments".  It says nothing about the equipment fees!  What's to stop them from jacking up the box fees every month?  If I wanted to cancel they said I'd still be charged a cancellation fee.  This seems very deceptive.  

Anyone else go through this?  Do I call the consumer protection people?

Nothing can stop them. However you could file a state Public Service Commission or Public Utilities Commission complaint and have them give you their answer.

to be fair i did find a news article that stated equipment was not inclusive in the service portion. You could however jump to another service that pays early termination fees for switching. You could get rid of tv and phone and just go internet only. Stream tv services save you loads of money and voip services save you even more. Check them out.

Re: Price increase while under contract
tw9855
Enthusiast - Level 2

OP here with a follow up. I managed to get all except approx $1/mo credited back as a "courtesy". I also submited a complaint to the state attorney general's office and Verizon corporate relations reached out to me to explain that the contract price only covers the programming and services, not "fees". The rep admitted they get many complaints about this. To me, this appears to be a case of deceptive and misleading trade practices and the state attorney's office will be getting a follow up complaint. I don't recall ever seeing the actual contract fine print when I ordered FiOS online. Does anybody?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@tw9855 wrote:

OP here with a follow up. I managed to get all except approx $1/mo credited back as a "courtesy". I also submited a complaint to the state attorney general's office and Verizon corporate relations reached out to me to explain that the contract price only covers the programming and services, not "fees". The rep admitted they get many complaints about this. To me, this appears to be a case of deceptive and misleading trade practices and the state attorney's office will be getting a follow up complaint. I don't recall ever seeing the actual contract fine print when I ordered FiOS online. Does anybody?

https://www.verizon.com/about/terms-conditions/residential-terms-service

It may have been included in all that crap that is sent on sign up. But they cover themselves by having it posted online as above. 

Cobble1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was also raised for my DVR and set top boxes. What makes matters worse is I had DVR Free for Life but when they asked me to renew they took it away. I immediately tried to cancel my renewal but couldn't. Is there away way I can buy my boxes through an outside vendor to stop these increases. Also, just saw that my internet fees go up $45 dollars 10/20 for a grand increase of $100+  total over my old bill. I have been a  long time Verizon customer  but can't wait to jump ship

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

I say this over and over. No service will let you purchase their cable boxes ( tv boxes) they are a huge profit generator. You could get rid of them and purchase a tivo and get some cable cards which are very cheap.

if this price increase is too much on the budget go internet only, drop tv and phone and do tv streaming and voip phone which doesn’t have all those taxes and fees and surcharges. You can save thousands a year. There is at present no tax on internet broadband connections. 

0 Likes
DarkWater
Enthusiast - Level 2

turn in your set top boxes if you have tv and purchase cablecards and save even more

In my experience, few TVs being sold today support CableCards. One can get a TiVo, which does support CableCards. Verizon, however, will charge you a monthly fee for a CableCard. Apparently, this is true even if you own your own CableCard, rather than renting one from Verizon.

In my experience, the monthly charge for a CableCard is much less than the monthly charge for a set top box, though, but I suppose that Verizon can change their pricing on these things at any time.

I personally switched to Internet TV providers rather than putting up with this sort of thing. Though I'm still at the mercy of Verizon for my Internet service, of course.

jonjones1
Legend

Streaming is the way to go i agree.

you save all those taxes and fees and no contracts and there are more to choose from.

the other aspect I constantly tell folks is NEVER EVER DO ANY CONTRACTS. Nor 

EVER GO AUTO PAYMENT ANYTHING. It only works in the company’s favor and can be a total nightmare if you want to leave or don’t want to be double hit on your payment.

0 Likes
Ocmod

What if they decide to rais the cost of equipment by say $100 a month, would that be acceptable? Would that be fair? 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Ocmod wrote:

What if they decide to rais the cost of equipment by say $100 a month, would that be acceptable? Would that be fair? 

Questions like this are totally subjective. Would it be fair? My opinion no. Could they actually raise it to that level and not get state regulators after them? Again no.

those hidden charges and fees are also tacked on in cable internet. It comes down to just how much the consumer will bear? 

In these types of cases the state regulators or federal government should make it not to their gain via hitting them with enormous fines. So in example they raise you $100 the state or feds fine them $1,000.00 for each instance. Do they gain? No.

0 Likes
Monthly bill Increased during 2 year contract.
kumar11

My monthly bill has been increased by Verizon by $10 a month even though I am in a 2-year contract. Has it happened with anyone else? What is the point of entering into a contract if Verizon can increase monthly charges just after 3 months of entering into a contract?

0 Likes