printer connected to router can not be shared since new Fios connection
nicmel

i have a XP desktop and Mac laptop.
i had Comcast as my ISP with my hp deskjet 5550 printer hardwired via USB directly to my airport extreme wireless router and had no problem sharing the printer w/ both computers.

i got Verizon Fios last week and am now using the Actiontec modem/wireless router combo and now when i plug my printer into the new router, i cant get the printer to talk to either computer.

i've called Verizon, they say they cant help me, it's a HP question. i call HP and they've been no help.

Also tired just turning off the printer and turning it back on... didnt work.

i've googled a ton of stuff, but cant find a straight answer... thought maybe it was a matter having to reset the printer IP, but dont know how to do that (and couldnt find a clear answer for that online either)

also searched on these forums and found similar issues, but they all seemed to have their printers connected wirelessly... not sure if the fix would be the same for me.

any specific help would help... thanks much!

0 Likes
Re: printer connected to router can not be shared since new Fios connection
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you still have that airport extreme wireless router, you could

#1 Convert it to a Hub/Switch/Wap.

This is as addressed on

a) http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?num=1133918703

and at

b) http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-basics/30740-how-to-use-a-router-to-add-network-ports

#2 Or perhaps put the Actiontec into bridge mode, and reconfigure the airport extreme wireless router so that you can get online.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

-

Then you connect the printer to the airport extreme wireless router, and you can print.

0 Likes
pamcphilly
Enthusiast - Level 3

You stated that you connected the printer directly to the airport router via USB.  The USB port on the airport router supports this setup as well as connecting USB storage devices.

The USB port on the ActionTech routers do not currently support this functionality and according to the documentation are there for future use.

You will need to either reuse your airport in your environment, get a USB print server and connect that to the router, or connect the printer to one of the computers and then share it from the computer (the computer would have to be on for the share to work).

0 Likes
nicmel

Thanks for your responses.  Good to know that that USB plug wont work for what i want it to do.   I just skimmed those links/options.  I'll give them a better look tonight.

I have only a basic understanding of wireless connections/ networking/ etc, but i'm wondering if it's possible to just use the Actiontec device as the Modem only... disable its router capabilities.  then just hook up my old router basically in the same configuration i had before...

i did glance at the links and saw there were different scenarios, but there was a some jargon i'm not familar w/ so maybe this option is already covered in there? 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Like what terms did you not understand?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

connect one of the actiontech ports to a router port on your old router NOTE not the wan port - this will extend the Fios router subnet onto your old router then you can just plug the printer into the old router's usb port

0 Likes