problem with two routers and MOCA adaptor
uod
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have an apple router (Time capsule) directly attached to my modem via ethernet.  I purchased a MOCA adaptor (Actiontec ECB2500c) and it is working flawlessly directly attached to my smart TV via ethernet. I purchased a second apple router (Airport Express) and as soon as I connect it to the network, I lose my internet connection through the main router (both wireless and wired). This happens whether I hook up the second router as a wireless access point or a router.  The internet connectivity returns as soon as I disconnect the second router. Fios help would not even answer questions about this because it is "not our equipment". Any thoughts?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: problem with two routers and MOCA adaptor
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the Forums!

The Actiontec device is a router, not a modem.  This is an important distinction, because multiple routers on one network require care to make sure they play nicely with each other.  This translates into making sure they both aren't trying to manage the network; if the are, things break.  Which sounds like your problem..

When you plug your new router into your existing network, make sure you use the "WAN" port not a "LAN" port.  A "WAN" port provides a router with the connection to the internet.  "LAN" provides local devices with access to the internet. If you connect two routers via their LAN ports, th will both attempt to provide a connection to any other devices.  This will take the network down.

When properly connected (LAN->WAN), a second router can create it's own network.  Communication between devices on the different routers will not be possible.  To avoid that, you need to configure the 2nd router to act as an access point, not a router.  In particular, it needs it's DHCP server disabled and maybe some more changes to other settings.

For way more details, check out the FiOS FAQs on broadbandreports.com:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios

You could also try Apple support or their forums.

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the Forums!

The Actiontec device is a router, not a modem.  This is an important distinction, because multiple routers on one network require care to make sure they play nicely with each other.  This translates into making sure they both aren't trying to manage the network; if the are, things break.  Which sounds like your problem..

When you plug your new router into your existing network, make sure you use the "WAN" port not a "LAN" port.  A "WAN" port provides a router with the connection to the internet.  "LAN" provides local devices with access to the internet. If you connect two routers via their LAN ports, th will both attempt to provide a connection to any other devices.  This will take the network down.

When properly connected (LAN->WAN), a second router can create it's own network.  Communication between devices on the different routers will not be possible.  To avoid that, you need to configure the 2nd router to act as an access point, not a router.  In particular, it needs it's DHCP server disabled and maybe some more changes to other settings.

For way more details, check out the FiOS FAQs on broadbandreports.com:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios

You could also try Apple support or their forums.

Good Luck!

uod
Enthusiast - Level 1
It worked but only after I performed a hard reset on the airport express, clearly something in the initial config went awry

thanks
0 Likes