Problems with the new FiOS MI424WR GigE Wireless N Router
FiOSgmr

Just bought the new MI424WR GigE Wireless N Router and hooked it up.  Problem is it does not recognize a DLink 8 port switch that is downstairs connecting 2 PC's to the interntet.  My original MI424WR Rev E works perfectly fine. I tried a different cable nothing. Called Verizon Support they had to call Actiontec, Actiontec said it's the swtich. I explained to Actiontec it's not the swtich because it works fine with the RevE router.  He hung up!  Is there some limit to cable lengh that the MI424WR GigE Wireless N router can't use?

0 Likes
Re: Problems with the new FiOS MI424WR GigE Wireless N Router
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Rev E router has 10/100 Mbps Ethernet ports.  The Rev I has 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet  ports.  The ports  auto negotiate the speed. If your switch is 1000 Mbps capable this means this is the first time your equipment can try to operate at 1000 Mbps.  There is most likely something wrong with your cables that is preventing operation at 1000 Mbps.

Move the switch next to the router and test with a short cable.  If that works, then you know there is a problem with your long cable.

If you have in wall cabling, make sure your pairs are actually paired; make sure the connectors are all wired properly.  1000 Mbps is much less forgiving of wiring errors than 10/100 Mbps.  1000 Mbps requires all four pairs of an Ethernet cable while 10/100 Mbps uses two.  1000 Mbps Ethernet does have a shorter maximum distance; try Google or Wikipedia for the details.

Good Luck