PS3 cannot find Media Server on Wired PC
JNYC
Enthusiast - Level 3

I recently switched from TWC internet using a lynksys wireless router to FIOs internet with an Actiontec MI 424 Rev I router with the latest firmware.  Now my PS3 using a wireless connection can no longer find or link to the media server (WMP 12) on my windows 7 desktop PC, which is linked via Ethernet cable to the Actiontec router.  My desktop WP 12 is set as before my switch to FIOs to “automatically allow devices to play my media” and under “more streaming options” set to show “devices on all networks” an “unknown” devise (with same MAC address as PS3) is listed and allowed.  Same settings show in the “Network and Sharing Center” on my desktop PC.

My PS3 can access the internet using the Actiontec router but not the media server on the desktop PC.

However, my PS3 can link to the Media Server (also WMP 12) on my wireless windows 7 laptop. 

But, when I connect my laptop via Ethernet to the router the PS3 loses and can no longer find the WMP 12 media server on my laptop until I return the laptop to a wireless set up.  So the problem appears to be with an Ethernet Wired connection to router.

I tried one proposed solution by finding and disabling the IGNP proxy on the Actiontec (page=6059) which worked for some with a similar problem who were using apple products.  I rebooted the router, PC and PS3 and still cannot see or connect with the media server on the wired desktop.

Called Verizon support who put me in contact with a tech at Actiontec.  The Actiontec tech. asked about  some of my settings and said it could be a faulty router and I should ask VZ for an exchange.  I would rather check for another solution before I ask for a replacement.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: PS3 cannot find Media Server on Wired PC
JNYC
Enthusiast - Level 3

Gave up on linking PS3 to WMP 12 on wired PC for now and dowloaded PS3MediaPlayer on wired PC.  Initially gave me no renderer found error and my wired desktop did not show up on wireless PS3.  But after I disable IGNP Proxy and Norton Firewall - it appears and i can link.  Best part is that I can go directly to my itunes music folders which I could not do with WMP 12. 

So a problem I could not solve led me to a product I prefer and would not have tried.  Good start to a new year.

Now I would like to find how to connect w/o disabling my Norton firewall.  But that is a less important issue.  I expect its some port forwarding setting that is beyond my knowledge.

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

disregard 

0 Likes
JNYC
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can't.  Its where my music and pictures are stored and used to be streamed to  my TV or stereo prior to my change to the new Actiontec.  Now I either get a DLNA error or no media server found when trying to link to my desktop PC's WMP 12. Everything else works. 

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Don't forget to check your PC Firewall and for approval requests that show up in Windows media server.

0 Likes
JNYC
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have Norton 360 on my desktop Windows 7 PC and disabled both the firewall and antivirus and tried again but still cannot see the media server (WMP 12) on my etheret connected PC.  But I can on my wireless laptop where I left the Norton firewall on.  But when I tried connecting my laptop  via ethernet I get DLNA protocol error 7531. 

I had hoped that turning off the IGNP Proxy would work for me as it did for some others in this forum but that may be more of an issue with Apple products.

I expect its a setting on my router which blocks my wireless PS3 from connecting to a wired PC's WMP12.  This happens even though my desktop PC sees the "unknown device" and has it approved.  My desktop settings are the same as they were before my recent switch from TWC and lynksis to FIOS and Actiontec.  My PS3 can access the internet and netflix via the Actiontec.  Its just the media server on the desktop but that is where I have most of my media so its important to me.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Are there some other key settings on the router that might be preventing this type of connection?

Meanwhile - HAPPY NEW YEAR

0 Likes
JNYC
Enthusiast - Level 3

Gave up on linking PS3 to WMP 12 on wired PC for now and dowloaded PS3MediaPlayer on wired PC.  Initially gave me no renderer found error and my wired desktop did not show up on wireless PS3.  But after I disable IGNP Proxy and Norton Firewall - it appears and i can link.  Best part is that I can go directly to my itunes music folders which I could not do with WMP 12. 

So a problem I could not solve led me to a product I prefer and would not have tried.  Good start to a new year.

Now I would like to find how to connect w/o disabling my Norton firewall.  But that is a less important issue.  I expect its some port forwarding setting that is beyond my knowledge.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

windows media is a pain to get working, but you have to enable the media share in the windows network and sharing center.  

I personally like PS3 Media server and use it though, it's a better product.

BUT if you want to try to get wmp working again you have to follow these steps. 

http://www.igoy.in/connect-ps3-to-windows-7-through-wmp-12/

0 Likes
JNYC
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the link.  My basic sharing settings are the same and my wired PC sees the unknown PS3 and its approved.  But my PS3 does not see the WMP 12.  I did not try the "advanced" steps of switching services to local from network or enabling all the inbound rules.  I expect that would work.  But I like the PS3 Media Server and would use it even if I could get the WMP 12 to work.  So I stopped.  Maybe I will play with it someday just to see if it works.

Glad to hear you also prefered the PS3 Media Server. The main drawback of the PS3 MS is that the guide to using it is extremely technical.  Even their "dummies" guide is limited in what it covers clearly.  It may have some customization I would prefer if I could understand it. But the basic setup does the main things I want it to do.

I did load Verizon media manager which shows my music and pictures from the set box but the sound was not as clean and clear.  There may be a setting to fix it.  But again, I preferred the way the PS3 MS looked and worked,  So no need to go on.

Perhaps Apple's next TV "box" will be a better solution since I mainly use itunes when I am not playing my actual CDs, and nothing I have seen so far gives me the full control I have on my PC.

So far very pleased with FIOS internet and TV.  Most of their tech staff has been helpful or tried.  But some of the issues like the WMP 12 appear to be too complicated to resolve quickly  for even a good tech, especially when changes are made to firmware and different users have different PC set ups and firewalls.  Its starts to become infinitely complex. This forum has been useful.  I also like professor Google.  Now need to play with the DV.

Thanks again and enjoy 2013.

0 Likes