Quantum G1100 - bridge mode?
JVP2

I'm attempting to bridge my new G1100 modem, I did this previously on my Actiontec. I have a dedicated firewall device that sits behind my FIOS router that filters all of my traffic. I need to be able to reach the VPN endpoint on this device and I need to reach back to services I run on my home computer when I travel. I have found a PDF userguide that refrences bridging on this device but nothing that explains how to best enable it. I simply want my FIOS router to pass all traffic straight through to my connected device. I would also like to be able to use the wireless portion of the router for guests who ask for access but do not need to be able to access anything on my network.

Some guidance please?

0 Likes
Re: Quantum G1100 - bridge mode?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

have you tried this thread? 

This is the closest I have seen anyone get to bridging the router.

Quantum Gateway Router as a Bridge works except....

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I am wondering if this would work for you.

You would have your router as primary with Ethernet from the Verizon Terminal (you just have to run the cat 5/6 to your router, and then call Verizon to turn it on) and then hang the quantum gateway (unaltered) off of one of your LAN ports, and use it to feed the set top boxes.

If you don't have FiOS TV then just disconnect that router, because you don't need it, unless you have FiOS TV

0 Likes
JVP2

Yes, I looked over those instructions before posting. Most of those have to do with getitng multiple MOCA routers working together it seems. This comes a bit closer http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27666920-How-to-Make-Actiontec-MI424WR-Revision-I-Rev.I-a-Network

However my previous Actiontec worked just fine in this configuration with wireless enabled and I'd prefer to keep this one working for guests. It's not really clear to me what that's doing or why. Somehow in that FAQ the inside router is obtaining an outside IP address, I'm pretty sure I wasn't doing that before.

Currently I have my firewall device in the DMZ, I have figured out what port my Plex server wants to talk on and forwarded it. Right now my VPN is working but it wasn't last night and it's not clear to me what changed. Plex worked for me for awhile today too, but now isn't from outside my home unless I turn on the VPN - that won't fly.

I have now fiddled some more. I have turned off UPNP on my Plex server (talking to my firewall) and set it to a static port. I have forwarded this port on both my outside and inside devices. Plex appears to be working however now my VPN is failing.

I gotta' say, as router software goes this thing is no picnic. I realize they don't expect people to be digging into it too much but geez. Static NAT, on every other device I've used I choose a MAC from a list of dynamic, tell it I want it to be static, give it a name. On this thing I can choose a device from a list but then I'm asked to enter it's "public address". I enter the same address it has now as I want it to become static and always assigned. I tell it to forward All Protocols. Result? I lose connection to my router completely and I now must go reset it - again. If I don't enter a "public address" it tells me I've got a conflict with outher rules. I've now setup my system again with the port forwarding at both devices and presently neither my VPN nor my Plex server are talking out but at least everything "normal" on my network is able to get out.

As for running CAT5 from my ONT, I'm not sure I want to do that. For starters it's another hole in my home, my ONT sits outside. I know that having two devices inline can work, I've done it. I would prefer to keep a guest access point outside of my primary network for guests too.

0 Likes
aJan1

Have you figured out how to bridge the Quantum router yet?

0 Likes
graftech

@aJan wrote:

Have you figured out how to bridge the Quantum router yet?

I did this exact thing.

What I did was throw my router behind the FiOS-G1100 and added it to the DMZ.

Obviously I gave my secure router a statixc IP on the verizon FiOS-G1100 gateway.

Works perfect and with DynDNS features this is dream.

I use the FiOS-G1100 network for guests and a secure DMZ without touching my internal network(Secure) network.

If I have machines that need external access and no access to my secure network (Plex media, minecraft server etc.) I add them to the FiOS-G1100 network and everything else goes behind my pfsense router.

0 Likes
graftech

I just wanted to add that I do use SSL VPN (Open VPN) and many other features of my secure internal router without a glitch.

0 Likes
dizzygeek89

How did you bridge your G1100 Router mine is connected to the ONT via Coax but i want to use my old router as a 2nd router and still also be able to use my g1100 can you help me please? Because calling verizon customer care is a waste of time and energy

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dizzygeek89 wrote:

How did you bridge your G1100 Router mine is connected to the ONT via Coax but i want to use my old router as a 2nd router and still also be able to use my g1100 can you help me please? Because calling verizon customer care is a waste of time and energy

Call fios tech support and they'll switch your ONT provisioning from coax to ethernet, takes about 15 minutes.

However to bridge your router to the vz router just involves connecting a lan port of the vz router to a lan port of your router.

0 Likes
foboman

I can't get any of this to work. All I want to do is be able to put devices on my network via the USB ports on the router. The Quantum Gateway's USB's are disabled from being able to do this, as I understand. I own a Netgear N900 router and would love to simply use the FIOS router as the modem and my Netgear as the router for its functionality. I have to put the G1100 in bridge mode, right? I just can't get this to work though. Can you help?

0 Likes