Quantum G1100 router much slower at 2.4 than 5G
bmad1
Enthusiast - Level 2

In my Quantum router settings, I changed the SSID name for the 5G band to be able to gauge which band I am using. Running the Verizon speed test now indicates that the 5G is achieving up to 80 Mpbs up and down, which is superb, as I am now paying for 75/75. However when I choose the 2.4 option , speed drops way down, max was 16 Mpbs, usually much slower. I live in a long house, need the 2.4. My recently replaced Actiontec router only used 2.4 and that achieved close to the max, which was 50/50. So I assume that I should be able to achieve at least that when using the 2.4 option on the Quantum G1100 router. Testing done both within sight and out of sight of the Quantum router on both bands, about 10 feet away.Have tried various channels, using inSSIDer, Acrylic and Vz in-home agent to determine best channel to select.  Why is the 2.4 band now so much slower?

As I was having TV image freezing problems on my new Quantum cable boxes, Verizon sent out a tech today. He, Al, was great. Replaced my 9 year old ONT, coax splitter (installed by RCN 10 years ago), and replaced the Quantum G1100 router. Same issue, 2.4 much slower than 5G, oocasionally achieving 34 up with the new replacement

G1100, which is an improvemrnt over the replaced G1100, but not as good as my old Actiontec, which consistenly achieved 50 down, which was my max at the time. Router in same location as the old Actiontec.

Just noticed that in Acrylic Wi-Fi and inSSIDer, the RSSI signal indicator line for the G1100 2.4 is zig zagging, fluctuating between -40 and -60. The other signals do not show a zig zag line. What does that indicate?

I also use the Actiontec Verizon branded extender WCB300N upstairs at the other end of the house, connected via coax. When I test the extender by bringing laptop in the same room, 2.4 speed is good. The extender worked flawlessly with my old Actiontec router, and seems to be working as well with the G1100 router. I think that it is far enough from the G1100 so as to not cause confusion - extender does not show up in Acrylic or inSSIDer when laptop brought back downstairs

BTW have not noticed the HD image freeze since Al swapped out the ONT etc. 2 hours ago. So maybe a forthcoming software/firmware update to fix a previous update not the issue.

0 Likes
Re: Quantum G1100 router much slower at 2.4 than 5G. Tech support baffled
bmad1
Enthusiast - Level 2

this screen grab from inSSIDer

0 Likes
Re: Quantum G1100 router much slower at 2.4 than 5G.
bmad1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I supect the Quantum G1100 router just not as good at 2.4 as was my Actiontec. Hard to believe. A couple of times the speed on the Verizon test site did get up to about 75 when using the 2.4 band, but could not hold that, whereas the 5G very consistent at achieving at least 75, when close enough to router. I changed the compatibility setting to Performance from Compatibility in the router  ("advanced security settings, go all the way down to Level 3" http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29843251-Poor-wireless-speeds)  but that had no effect.

Need to decide if I should go back to the Actiontec Rev.I. From what I have read online, the Actiontec Rev. I  handles  75/75, and a tech told me could be used with the Quantum boxex. Any opinion on using the Actiontec Rev. I with Quantum boxes?

My cable box received a firmware update the night the ONT was swapped, and I  hope that fixes image freezing problem. Since my kids usually watch Netflix, haven't had much chance to verify, but  the little I have watched live TV since the update I haven't caught the image freezing.

0 Likes
Re: Quantum G1100 router much slower at 2.4 than 5G.
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

FWIW, I have an Actiontec Rev I with 75/75 service.  I typically got ~50/50 via the Actiontec's WiFi.

These days I'm using the Actiontec as my primary router but I have it's WiFi turned off.  I have a Netgear R6300V2 in a more central location of our house, in AP mode, fed by a MoCA (Coax) to Ethernet adapter. 

The Actiontec works fine to give me our Quantum TV functions and I get over 80 mb/s up and down via the Netgear's 2.4 or 5 GHz channels.

This speedtest on my iPhone 6s was run connected to the Netgear's 2.4 GHz signal.

0 Likes