Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
jonjones1
Legend

@Simbapenn wrote:

The fact the CS is still suggesting people replace their routers as a possible fix makes me worried about the veracity of the person on the DSLReports board who claims to be an insider who knows a fix is being worked on.  At this point if there were a fix in the works wouldn't CS just tell people "We're aware of the problem, use 2.4 for now and we'll send an email when the new firmware updates."?

That being said, I'll take anything I can get at this point and choose to believe the anonymous poster.

Although branch stated it could be a Verizon employee posting as to not lose their employment (absolutely pitiful) when someone is trying to help the simple fact of the matter is there was no firmware update as to the version showing in that thread.

woulda, coulda and shoulda is not valid information.

Yes there has to be some explanation for the WiFi issue. But it is not a widespread customer issue. If it were Verizon would admit it and work to fix it. They would tell customers the truth. Why would they say let’s send another router if they know what it is and are offering a fix at some later date? Seems counterproductive does it not?

Like I said never rely on Verizon’s routers. Buy your own better and faster and more stable router from a better manufacturer. Yes it will cost some money, but think of it this way. If enough customers call up and cancel out the Quantum to use their own Verizon loses big money on their rental fees each month.

I am sure Verizon Fios does not want to lose revenue. They more than likely are looking for the cause and the fix. And like I said way back in this thread you can still use 2.4 Ghz and this should suffice for now.

0 Likes
Simbapenn
Enthusiast - Level 3

2.4 is not good for streaming HD content or gaming, espcially when other devices are sharing the band.  So 2.4 is not an adequate replacement for the 5GHz band for many people.  

How do we know it's not a widespread issue?  Most people would just rollover to the 2.4 connection and shrug their shoulders.  How do we know that anyone who has the capacity to solve this problem is working on it?  How do things move up the food chain from their call centers?

You're also assuming that what Verizon is doing is costing them money rather than saving them money.  Perhaps Verizon is aware of the issue, but they decided it'll cost less to just send some routers here and there.  That the people who care about 5GHz will just buy better equipment anyways as you are suggesting.  If they ignore it long enough, then the problem will just go away because people will stop complaining.  Maybe this is less than actually fixing the problem which, for all we know is hardware related.  How much would that cost Verizon to admit?

0 Likes
Duckiesauce

I just called Tech Support and just told them about this well documented issue, the tech just looked it up quickly and said "yes no update for this so far" so I asked to be transferred to Billing to see if I can get some credit off to get a REAL router. The best they can do is $50, which is better than nothing.

I suggest as many of you do this as possible, hopefully they see that they're losing $$ and get to a solution ASAP!

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Let’s use a little logic here.

verizon is in business to make money and keep customers. Now let’s assume Fios has 1 million paying customers, now take 100,000 customers that own their own routers. These folks are not affected. Now say 300,000 customers don’t use the Quantum but maybe the Actiontecs (not sure on this one), now that leaves 600,000 users and there are not that number complaining. So Fios sends out another Quantum and as you have read the problem still exists. So what if we say 10,000 or 5,000, or less actually see the non 5 Ghz non functional. They call service and Verizon just placates them and soon it is another replacement and let’s cross your fingers. Not a good way to run a business.

Now I am not saying you having to purchase a router is a must, but if you did and the other customers who complained did so the Fios loses the rental fees and the customers are happy since Fios is not messing with their routers. 

I firmly believe it is not wide spread as you think. I don’t believe there was any update since as I said and shown the latest firmware numbers previously and others have done so on DSL Reports. 

Then ask yourself why would Fios if they knew this was a huge problem not have Greenwave and their own engineers work around the clock to fix it so as to not lose customers. Either fees per month or outright to a competitor.

0 Likes
chubrock07
Enthusiast - Level 2

Jonjones, I think a problem with purchasing my own router is that I still require a modem. Verizon's modem. Which just so happens to be the Quantum Router as well. They are still going to make money off of us 'renting' that as both devices are one in the same. Thus they lose nothing of value.

Also, I think it has been well established that purchasing a router could fix this issue. That however, doesn't change the fact that we are all paying for a device and service that is not living up to its end of the contract. I know you mean well but my blood boils a little everytime "just buy xxx" is mentioned as a fix. 

I'm very happy to hear someone say they got Verizon on record as offering $50 refund for the purchase of a new product to supplement their faulty equipment. I will be trying this method before the years end if I do not see anything positive by then.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@chubrock07 wrote:

Jonjones, I think a problem with purchasing my own router is that I still require a modem. Verizon's modem. Which just so happens to be the Quantum Router as well. They are still going to make money off of us 'renting' that as both devices are one in the same. Thus they lose nothing of value.

Also, I think it has been well established that purchasing a router could fix this issue. That however, doesn't change the fact that we are all paying for a device and service that is not living up to its end of the contract. I know you mean well but my blood boils a little everytime "just buy xxx" is mentioned as a fix. 

I'm very happy to hear someone say they got Verizon on record as offering $50 refund for the purchase of a new product to supplement their faulty equipment. I will be trying this method before the years end if I do not see anything positive by then.

You don’t need Verizon’s router. (They don’t use modems) there are other adapters to use with your own router to get tv. DSL Reports has different ways to connect.

You see having a Quantum router which is non functional is still not worth $50 bonus from Fios, gift card, account credit. You will still have to either (get that blood boiling ☹️) buy your own router either in access point mode, or as a stand alone that has functioning 5 Ghz WiFi (you can also get a better router with mimo, external bi directional antenna and more features) but price is an issue for many people.

if you take the rental fee off each month ($120 a year) in about 2 years it should be paid off. If you buy a more expensive one well takes longer to pay down to save money.

or you continue to tolerate the situation and hope a solution is found quickly. I am not telling you what to do, I am just giving suggestions if the situation is not to your service standards. The choice is always up to you and the others.

0 Likes
maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

The same here. I just spoke to Verizon tech about this (Dec 18, 2017), and was told that it is a known issue since Dec 15, 2017, and Verizon engineering is working on a fix. My guess is Verizon pushed a firmware update that broke 5GHz access point, and is now working on another firmware version to fix this.

0 Likes
SomethingsWrong1

Last week I got a notification on my cell phone that I only had 3% left on my data plan, with 5 days to go before it reset back to 100%. The month before last I used less than 2Gb. The month before that was under 5Gb. Using 14Gb in less than a month was perplexing to me. BECAUSE I'M ALWAYS ON WI-FI! 

Of course having Wi-Fi "on" is only helpful if your devices can connect to it. Verizon DID fix my account so i didnt go over my data, but still the question remained as to how I so uncharacteristically burnt through all that data. It wasnt until a couple days latef until I noticed that my Wi-Fi wasn't actually connecting. 

I've done the same as everyone else. Reset the router= stays connected for an hour, sometimes 3 or 4. Changed the router name=stays connected for an hour, sometimes 3 or 4. No matter what I try, it never lasts. And I just signed a new 2 year contract a week ago... 

Hoping for that admission of an issue and then a fix for it SOON.

0 Likes
Cheese5

Verizon must have broke the firmware in the G1100 so that the 5Ghz AP disables itself after a few hours. Re-enabling via web gui or rebooting device brings 5Ghz back for an undetermined amount of time. Been happening to me for over a week.

0 Likes
shcrva

Add me to the list of 5G suddenly not working on router.  I changed channel to manual and can change to another channel, which works briefly and then it's gone again.  

0 Likes