Quantum Gateway issues
seonny1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Several months ago we upgraded to the newest FIOS router. Ever since we have been experiencing issues that did not exist prior to replacement. In particular, we are losing all internet connection for 10-20 minutes 2 - 5 times a day. Verizon blames us for having too many devices connected (note, this only started occuring with the new equipment). We typically have 2 - 3 active devices connected at a time. Others may be connected, but are not in use, using minimual data or are in sleep mode. This loss of internet occurs whether there is 1 active device or several. Has anyone else experienced excessive loss of internet with the upgraded boxes? Verizon customer support / tech support is of no help. I am very frustrated... Verizon says I am bound by the contract for 2 years, however, they are not resonsible for the performance of their equipment. Help!

0 Likes
Re: Quantum Gateway issues
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you an internet only customer? You can use your own router if you connection is ethernet. Do you have the old Verizon router still? Maybe try putting that back in an see if the problem is still present. 

I’m not a fan of the G1100. The wifi on it is not that great. When you lose connection see if the same problem exists on a wired connection. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Actually Verizon is RESPONSIBLE for their branded routers. Who told you different is lying to you.

i suspect a bad router, it would not hurt to get Verizon to replace it. Especially if you rent they must replace it. If purchased it has a 2 year warranty.

personally if you are internet only I would purchase a Netgear or Asus or other top of the line router. Make sure it has 4-6 external antennas, beam forming technology, MIMO technology and give the Verizon router back and get a receipt. Very important to get a receipt from Verizon Fios. They like to claim it wasn’t returned on many occasions. Just google it. Best to go to a Verizon Fios Corporate store location no resellers.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you get any error indication on router when it happens?
Does it happen with wired as well as wireless devices?

seonny1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply. It is a Verizon box, red light of death (box malfunction) but say it is my fault and will not replace (yet anyhow). 

0 Likes
seonny1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The only error we get is the red light of death on the box, now Verizon is telling us that it could be that we have devices with old security protocols (all devices update automatically, so not sure what could be out dated). 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@seonny wrote:

Thanks for the reply. It is a Verizon box, red light of death (box malfunction) but say it is my fault and will not replace (yet anyhow). 

How could Verizon Fios say it’s your fault?

if the router is faulty and you rent they must replace since you are renting the unit to provide service to you. Without the router which you pay rent on you can have no service. Your fault or their fault makes no difference.

call them and ask for a replacement because you rent the unit and it went kaput.

let them verify via testing that the router is bad then either have them send another or pick one up at a Fios Corporate store location.

if internet only I would get a better router like a Netgear etc. and just hook that up for internet service. Then if the Verizon one is rented, simply have them take it back and they lose the rental fee. Problem then solved.

if you have tv and phone as well you either need a MOCA adapter or another Quantum router to get video on demand and the guide. 

0 Likes