08-16-2015 03:34 PM
just want to thank you for these instrunctions. not 100% sure, but following your instructions for the Wii U and 3DS in my house seemed to resolve some DNS issues. Before following your instrucitons, I was having issues doing normal DNS resolution on my network. couldn't get to a couple outside websites by name, but could by ip. an nslookup from any computer on the network would give:
Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.1
I noticed the Wii error in the log as you pointed out, and so went through the rename process for both Wii and 3ds. Now an nslookup gives the expected:
Default Server: FIOS_Quantum_Gateway.fios-router.home
and no errors. pinging around my local network by name doesn't give errors either. am now able to get to the external page. of course that may have been coincidence, maybe they were having issues with thier webserver resolution. But I went about switching to google's public DNS while I was mucking about in the settings. no RFC breaking DNS redirects now.
01-29-2016 07:59 PM
I think that this issue has finally been fixed.
I'd been hobbling along with it busted for a while as I hadn't found the time to set up an alternative DHCP/name server. But as of a day or two ago, things just started working. The firmware version for my router now reads “18.104.22.168.64”. (Though, I haven't been able to discover exactly when the last update got pushed down.)
01-31-2016 08:42 PM
I did just get an email in the past week about them rolling out a new firmware, but all the email described was the way it would handle dual band wifi .
I wouldn't expect to see an exhaustive list of bug fixes in an e-mail like that. Honestly, while this issue probably annoyed the hell out of some of us, the vast majority of users either never noticed it or, if they saw a problem at all, simply couldn't identify it.
My G1100 is in a metal box in a wall in my closet. Its WiFi is turned off. I use a Netgear EX7000 for WiFi; because, after testing a few different access points, it provided the best 5 GHz coverage in my house.
03-12-2018 09:06 PM
Using host names to connect to a server within my local LAN has stopped working. I can connect and ping devices by IP address, but trying to do either using the host name has stopped. I'm using a qualified host name with no spaces,etc., and it has been working fine for months. Sometime over the past very few weeks it has stopped. I have hardware version 1.03, firmware version 02.00.01.07. Settings are all correct as described in this string of posts. It just stopped working.
03-13-2018 03:08 AM
If it's at all related to the problem described in this thread, it would be from a device that puts a space in the device ID.
If you don't see one of those that you can rename, best advise I can give is to change your ssid to disconnect everything from the wireless network, and unplug all hardwired connections except the 1 computer you're changing settings with. Then see if routing works correctly. If not do a router reset and try again. If euther of those work, add devices one by one until the problem reoccurs, then troubleshoot that one device. If it still does not work ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯