Quantum is great hard wired into our computers, but Wireless devices are very slow.
crowane

Do we need to upgrade our router and if so, why were we not told....

0 Likes
Re: Quantum is great hard wired into our computers, but Wireless devices are very slow.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

How slow is "Slow?" Verizon will give you a new router for your Quantum service if you pay for the 150M or 300M package without charge. Otherwise, the older routers still provide plenty of power and are fully capable of delivering your full package while wired. Wireless can be a mixed bag when it comes down to performance as well.

Here's the trick to Wireless though for higher speeds. If you already have Wireless N capable devices, you should make sure your router is set up using WPA2 security at a minimum, and that it is set up on a performance mode that allows Wireless N to be used. Any ActionTec from Rev. F and up will be able to take advantage of some form of Wireless N.

If you have the ActionTec MI424WR Rev A, B, C, D, or E, or a Westell 9100EM you'll want to consider hanging an access point or a cheap router, which can be set up as an access point off of your FiOS router. Most cheap ones that do not do dual band run for no more than $40 online, and can do the standard "Up to 300Mbps" speeds. The more expensive ones which do Dual Band, which is suggested in a noisy wireless environment, run for around $80-130 on the low end of things.

If you need any pointers, just let us know. If you could tell us what seems slow, and what sort of speeds you're getting on Wireless in addition to the equipment you're using, that'd be great.

Re: Quantum is great hard wired into our computers, but Wireless devices are very slow.
boss2000

I had the same problem when I upgraded from 35/35 to 50/25. I can get the 50 on a wired connection but not wireless. Turns out I have an "E" version of the wireless router which does not support 802.11n . I contacted customer service and they are happy to sell me one for $79. I was not amused.  I would not mind if they had told me up front, but this was a surprise. Thinking about doing the wireless access point.

0 Likes