query on firewall ports - 55415 and 55380
alf2016a
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello, I just switched to FiOS and was setting up my firewall port forward preferences and noticed that the following were open for one computer (Mac) on home ethernet and not others.  Here are the ports

UDP Any -> 55415

UDP Any -> 55380 

Are they needed?  I had the comcast tech person do a remote lognn to my computer to tweak some router issue but that was resolved.  I assume this is what turned them on, but I want to minimize open firewall ports.

thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: query on firewall ports - 55415 and 55380
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most likely not ... you probably have UPnP enabled on the router which allows local systems to instruct the router to automatically add port forwards applications deem necessary for one reason or another.  In general, you should always disable UPnP if you are concerned about security and pot forward manually anything which is needed for applications that need it (mmost don't need anything and will work around lack of UPnP, so you rarely notice any impact).

View solution in original post

Re: query on firewall ports - 55415 and 55380
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most likely not ... you probably have UPnP enabled on the router which allows local systems to instruct the router to automatically add port forwards applications deem necessary for one reason or another.  In general, you should always disable UPnP if you are concerned about security and pot forward manually anything which is needed for applications that need it (mmost don't need anything and will work around lack of UPnP, so you rarely notice any impact).