Question about getting FIOS gigabyte speeds with wireless and wireless extender
rprescot1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm considering upgrading to FIOS' 200 Mbps from my current 100Mbps. I understand that a Cat 6 cable will be needed to connect the ONT box with the new FIOS router (I'm OK with using the FIOS gear.)

However, I'm not going to be able to directly link my office computer (or any other device) via Cat 6 to the new router because of the way things are laid out in the house.   All of our devices will have to use the wireless that's broadcast from the new router.

From what I've just been reading, with this setup I will only marginally improve my internet speed, which makes me think it isn't worth undertaking the change. I don't want to pay extra for the 200Mbps if I'm not going to get a significant speed increase in the wireless.

(FWIW, I was told by a FIOS tech I could connect the new router to my house's coax and use a FIOS extender in the upstairs to improve the house-wide wi-fi, but that won't increase my internet speed.)

Any advice and insight you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Question about getting FIOS gigabyte speeds with wireless and wireless extender
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@rprescot wrote:

My question is: with all other things held constant, would an upgrade to 200Mbps from 100Mbps yield a noticeable difference in (a) the wireless speed and strength and (b) the internet speed available to the office computer, which would receive its signal through coax until, at the end, the signal ran through several feet of ethernet cable?

(a) I don't know what equipment you have at the moment, so I have no basis for this comparison. If your WiFi equipment is too old, it might bottleneck your wireless speed. What router do you have at the moment?

(b) I believe your office computer is up to date, so its internet connection speed should double. If you upload some files, it should take as half of the time as before. I believe you can actually pull 300 Mbps from a 200Mbps subscription.

If you have G1100 router right now, keep it, it's a great device and gigabit capable. 

The procurement recommendation for you is G1100 router + WCB3000N (<$80), The extender's WiFi caps at 175Mbps, the remaining 25Mbps needs to be used from the router directly. If the OLT provisions 300Mbps, this setup is not optimal, see the following recommendation.

The alternative recommendation is G1100 router + WCB6200Q (<$110) OR G1100 + G1100 (<$100) OR G1100 + ECB5240M + WCB3000N (<$120). Different combinations have different deficits and advantages, I am not listing all the specifications. The pricing of the former two is better than the last. I strongly recommend you to buy used equipment from Ebay because (1) Verizon does not sell any of these equipment any more (except ECB5240M) (2) It is cheaper.

Choosing the alternative devices makes you ready for another speed upgrade for next five years (if you ever want to), without the need to replace the entire network equipment again.

View solution in original post

Re: Question about getting FIOS gigabyte speeds with wireless and wireless extender
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is your "mysterious" new router? A G3100? For 200Mbps, you can buy a used G1100 off Ebay for saving money. Make sure it is Verizon firmware though.

@rprescot wrote:

use a FIOS extender in the upstairs to improve the house-wide wi-fi, but that won't increase my internet speed.

Nothing other than upgrading the service would "increase [your] internet speed." I think the tech means increase your in-house throughput speed. But either way, that is not the complete story.

The FiOS Network Extender Gen 1 (WCB3000N) is capable of delivering 175+Mbps on MoCA, it should suit your need. It not only "extends" your WiFi coverage but also has two ethernet ports on it for hard-wiring. WCB3000N costs around $20 on Ebay.

If you have more questions, I am happy to help.

rprescot1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks very much for the help.  The router I was referring to is the one a FIOS tech. brought with him for the high speed upgrade, which we didn't complete because currently there's no good way to get the CAT6 cable from the ONT directly to our office computer. It looks like it's FIOS' 4x4 11ax Tri-band router Model G3100 (as you surmised.) For now, I'd rather just get the router and extender from FIOS. It's simpler that way.

You told me something I didn't know that's important: the FIOS extender comes with two ethernet ports.  Now that I know that, let me describe the home configuration I envision and then ask you my reformulated question. A CAT6 would connect the outside ONT to the new router in the basement. The router would be connected to the home coax .  Then the new extender would be connected to coax in the upstairs office and a CAT6 connected from it to the office computer. All other devices in the home (phones, tablets, TV) would use wireless.

My question is: with all other things held constant, would an upgrade to 200Mbps from 100Mbps yield a noticeable difference in (a) the wireless speed and strength and (b) the internet speed available to the office computer, which would receive its signal through coax until, at the end, the signal ran through several feet of ethernet cable?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@rprescot wrote:

(a) I don't know what equipment you have at the moment, so I have no basis for this comparison. If your WiFi equipment is too old, it might bottleneck your wireless speed. What router do you have at the moment?

(b) I believe your office computer is up to date, so its internet connection speed should double. If you upload some files, it should take as half of the time as before. I believe you can actually pull 300 Mbps from a 200Mbps subscription.

If you have G1100 router right now, keep it, it's a great device and gigabit capable. 

The procurement recommendation for you is G1100 router + WCB3000N (<$80), The extender's WiFi caps at 175Mbps, the remaining 25Mbps needs to be used from the router directly. If the OLT provisions 300Mbps, this setup is not optimal, see the following recommendation.

The alternative recommendation is G1100 router + WCB6200Q (<$110) OR G1100 + G1100 (<$100) OR G1100 + ECB5240M + WCB3000N (<$120). Different combinations have different deficits and advantages, I am not listing all the specifications. The pricing of the former two is better than the last. I strongly recommend you to buy used equipment from Ebay because (1) Verizon does not sell any of these equipment any more (except ECB5240M) (2) It is cheaper.

Choosing the alternative devices makes you ready for another speed upgrade for next five years (if you ever want to), without the need to replace the entire network equipment again.