Re: "Hidden Network" Coming From My Router
mikejeep47
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same issue. It's clearly coming from my G1100 as the MAC is only off by one character, the signal strength is identical, and it goes away when I shut down my router. Has anyone had any luck contacting Verizon to shut off the mystery SSID? I have found a few other threads about this issue..

A dslreports poster indicates it was for "wireless IPCs", a wireless STB depolyment that was supposedly scrapped:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30846733-Networking-Router-G1100-broadcasting-a-duplicate-5Ghz-SSID...

Another Verizon customer noticed this issue way back in January 2015:

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Verizon-G1100-Quantum-Gateway-router-spurious-5Ghz-outpu...

I'm having some wireless intereference issues so I'd love to be able to disable this mystery network.

0 Likes
mikejeep47
Enthusiast - Level 2

I contacted Verizon Support today; over the course of 2.5 hours, I was transferred to 5(!) different support agents, none of whom could explain what this network is. Two of them told me not to worry about it and just ignore it. A factory reset was completed and nothing changed. Now they are sending me a new router. Will update on how that goes..

mikejeep47
Enthusiast - Level 2

Received the new G1100 router, and as soon as I plugged it in, it began broadcasting the normal 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz SSIDs, as well as another 5 GHz network with a hidden SSID with a similar MAC. I reached out to Verizon via the DSLReports forum and got a very straightforward rep who said it was odd and that he didn't know what was causing it, but he would escalate the ticket and I'd hear back if anyone had an answer. Will update if I hear back.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@mikejeep47 wrote:

Received the new G1100 router, and as soon as I plugged it in, it began broadcasting the normal 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz SSIDs, as well as another 5 GHz network with a hidden SSID with a similar MAC. I reached out to Verizon via the DSLReports forum and got a very straightforward rep who said it was odd and that he didn't know what was causing it, but he would escalate the ticket and I'd hear back if anyone had an answer. Will update if I hear back.

I think if you check further you would have found others have stated it was a test by fios to use the routers as hotspots. It was abandoned because when cable tried it there was a backlash and it to was abandoned.

it is nothing to get excited about.

if you prefer not to see that ghost network just use your own customer supplied router. They work much better anyway.

Good Luck

Shmooney

Very annoying situation with this hidden network. 

0 Likes
dap76

I think it is a problem, I get frequent network drops on my 5G network to the point I can't use it even when sitting close to the router.  the 2G works just fine and doesn't have a hiddent network.  So I find this hidden network to be the likely cause.

Fortunately turning off the guest network did remove my Hidden-5G network.  

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you look in this forum, there is a known issue with quantum 5g.

Fix is due out soon.

mauly
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm still trying to figure out how to turn this hidden network off.  Just ignoring it is not acceptable as the performance (range and speed) of any network is not based on signal strength rather it is based on the signal to noise ratio, which is how much larger the desired signal is relative to the strength of the undesirable signals (noise) in the same band.  Unfortunately, Verizon is transmitting the hidden signal in the same channel as the desired wifi signal so they are causing significant degradation  of the wifi performance.  If I change the channel of the latter, the hidden also changes to follow.  

At least Comcast has the honesty to tell the customer about the hidden network and let then op out.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The hidden network is an SSID that has the broadcast disabled. Verizon must have or had a plan to use it for something. I don't use the G1100 anymore so I'll have to hook it back up an poke around. I'm not sure if you can turn it off or not. I'll have to check and get back. 

The SSID is FiOS-XXXX-TV and the password is different than what's on your router's sticker. 

jonjones1
Legend

Verizon at one time as did cable internet before the big outcry looked at using customers routers as their total network coverage. However because of the potential for real problems, it was decided not to go that route.

you see like with the cable plan Verizon thought nothing of using a small private portion of your homes WiFi and your electricity without payment. It went by the wayside as it should have. 

0 Likes