"Stop running this script"
lmmghw
Enthusiast - Level 2

Last night & tonight I am receiving this message "Stop running this script" A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly.  If it continues to run, your computer might become unresponsive.

I did not get that message earlier today.  What does it mean & how do I fix it?

Thank you for any help.

Lisa

Re: "Stop running this script"
prisaz
Legend

Sounds like Malware or Virus

Malwarebytes is a good program.

Avast I like for antivirus

0 Likes
lmmghw
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your response.  If I install them now will that take care of the problem or will I need to take to someone?

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Are you not already running some type of anti-virus software?  If so, I wouldn't panic if you're just getting that message on one web page.  It could be it's just a poorly written page.

If you're not already running a/v protection, by all means install one of the programs out there and scan your entire machine.  The two previously recommended applications are good but  you said install "them."  You should only have one a/v program installed at a time.

If you're runnning Windows and don't already have an a/v app, these days I like Microsoft Security Essentials.  It's free.  It's pretty light on resources.  And it's worked well on the several machines I've been using it on since it came out.

Good luck.

prisaz
Legend

Malwarebytes is more of a anti-malware / anti-spyware software. Like Spybot-Search and Destroy. But it will scan and clean some Viruses.

Avast is strictly an anti-virus program if you load it that way, or have the free version.

So yes I have them both on my machine. Your mileage may very. But as mentioned it could be a poorly configured web site. But if you have no protection, or your subscription to updates has expired, both of these are free for home use. Or as mentioned the Microsoft product can be used.

0 Likes
lmmghw
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you, yes I do have McAfee.  I wasn't sure if I needed to add others or not.  So thank you very much for the advice.

0 Likes
lmmghw
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks again for your help.  It's funny, I told my parents when we reach a certain age, we should not be allowed to have computers! Have a good evening.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

also check to make sure that your java is updated. I had several web sites that were doing that to me. it turned out I had not installed the latest version of java. Once I updated all those script errors went away.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@spacedebris wrote:

also check to make sure that your java is updated. I had several web sites that were doing that to me. it turned out I had not installed the latest version of java. Once I updated all those script errors went away.

That is great to hear/read. Please mark your post as solved.

0 Likes
Re: "Stop running this script" - Still occurring with Explorer
JnD1

After searching this topic, it appears there are a number of folks having the same problem.  It is not adware or related.  In response to suggestion, have tried to replicate in googlechrome and the script issue DOES NOT occur there, so it appears to be an issue that has surfaced between the My Verizon interface and Int Explorer.  Have cleared caches and temp files, upgraded to Int Expl 8, etc, still happens.  Any help from Version Support would be appreciated so that we can still use Explorer 

0 Likes