Random Slowdowns Plus Home Network Protection Stuck on "Activation in progress"
Tyrion
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I moved back to Verizon Fios recently on a new location, I used to love it and didn't think twice about coming back to Gigabit, but this time I have been having random connection issues (apps on my Pixel phone and Google TV devices like Nest, Instagram, Disney+ and even Google related pages taking forever to load) despite the speed test always looking excellent, and if I go to any of their websites they seem to work fine...

I tried to troubleshoot resetting the Verizon router so many times and changing settings and the issue persist, I tried installing my Nest Router (that I still have) and the issues seemed to happen less frequently but they were still there. I went back to the Verizon router one last time before giving up and now the router is stuck on "Activation in progress", the slow downs persist and now Disney+ returns error 83 (connection problems) no matter if I use the Fios router or my router.....

What's going on with my connection? I'm going crazy and I'm about to just switch to a different ISP if I can fix it, the only saving grace is that it doesn't affect apps that I use for work....

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Random Slowdowns Plus Home Network Protection Stuck on "Activation in progress"
TyrionLannister
Enthusiast - Level 1

For future reference if someone has similar problems:

- The Home Network Protection stuck activating was solved by Fios support by "processing a pending HNP order" manually, shortly after the functionality started to behave normally.

- The unexplainable unstable connection that caused slowdown and connection errors in multiple apps/services like Disney Plus, HBO Max, Twitter, Instagram, Nest, etc. I was able to solve it myself after a lot of trial and error, I found that Broadband IPv6 was the root of all these problems, with it disabled everything works perfectly, as soon as I enable it the issues come back again immediately.

I let Fios support know my findings and they only told me "thanks for the feedback".... Which I hope it means they escalated my message but I have my doubts. Hopefully Verizon will really fix these IPv6 issues, as I can live with IPv4 for now, but the present and future is already IPv6.

PS1: I apologize for the writing mistakes in my OP, when I noticed them I couldn't edit the post anymore.

PS2: For some reason the forum forced me to create a new username despite being logged with my same account... Could be because I changed my Verizon userid but that shouldn't happen anyway.

View solution in original post

Re: Random Slowdowns Plus Home Network Protection Stuck on "Activation in progress"
RRS215
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issues since the same day! They are currently sending me a 2nd replacement router. It's not working properly and they just don't seem to have an answer. I'm with you on being at the point of switching providers. The customer service is almost as poor as comcast. 

TyrionLannister
Enthusiast - Level 1

For future reference if someone has similar problems:

- The Home Network Protection stuck activating was solved by Fios support by "processing a pending HNP order" manually, shortly after the functionality started to behave normally.

- The unexplainable unstable connection that caused slowdown and connection errors in multiple apps/services like Disney Plus, HBO Max, Twitter, Instagram, Nest, etc. I was able to solve it myself after a lot of trial and error, I found that Broadband IPv6 was the root of all these problems, with it disabled everything works perfectly, as soon as I enable it the issues come back again immediately.

I let Fios support know my findings and they only told me "thanks for the feedback".... Which I hope it means they escalated my message but I have my doubts. Hopefully Verizon will really fix these IPv6 issues, as I can live with IPv4 for now, but the present and future is already IPv6.

PS1: I apologize for the writing mistakes in my OP, when I noticed them I couldn't edit the post anymore.

PS2: For some reason the forum forced me to create a new username despite being logged with my same account... Could be because I changed my Verizon userid but that shouldn't happen anyway.

EvanVanVan2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, I was coming here to ask about random slow downs I've been having too. 1Gbps internet, G3100 router.

I'm not even sure where to start describing this problem. The entire network just feels sluggish. Chrome google searches don't load on my computer. Apps on my phone take forever to load *until switch off wifi* then they load instantly. I was worried it could be an issue with my computer, but when I disconnect all the ethernet cables from the router and switch the SSID name so that my phone is the only device connected I'm seeing the same behavior. Unfortunately, Speedtests appear normal. 

Strangely, I've seen to be able to fix the issue for 4-5 minutes only by renewing my WAN IP DHCP lease. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but apps on my phone (Google Drive, Plex) load perfectly for 4-5 minutes every time before endless load times return. Seeing the latest post regarding disabling IPv6, I'll give that a shot. I was seeing some IPv6 stuff in the router logs that seemed to correspond to the network slowdowns. I couldn't figure out how to disable it. 

Thanks

Edit: Disabling IPv6 definitely seems to have fixed it! Thank you @TyrionLannister.

For anyone looking to troubleshoot the issue the easiest way I was able to replicate it consistently was to use the Google Drive app on my phone. With IPv6 enabled on the router, going to Google Drive app > 3 bar menu > Backups (where automatic Pixel and WhatsApp backups are stored), the folder would just display a spinning loading icon for 30 seconds to 1 minute. With IPv6 disabled (or off WiFi on regular cellular data), the Backups folder loads instantly. (As noted earlier, renewing WAN IP DHCP lease in the router settings, would also fix the issue for 4-5 minutes and Backups folder would also load instantly.)

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. Please feel free to open a new thread for further discussion. Thank you.

0 Likes