Reducing Latency
marvn1k93

Hello all,

I'm a competitive Call of Duty player on the Xbox One. When it comes to Call of Duty, latency plays a tremendous role. Currently my latency is anywhere between 35-45ms.

Today, I'm looking to see what I can do to improve my latency.

•  Adjust any settings possibly?
  •  Switch to Ethernet vs. Coax?
  •  Upgrade the Actiontec router?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Reducing Latency
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It looks like your question has already been answered quite nicely over at DSLReports: https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/r29350094-Networking-Reducing-Latency

My only other tip for this which I have not posted on that site is to consider the kind of game you're playing in. A lot of console games tend to rely on a Peer to Peer system, which inherently leads to an increase in latency. Many other gamers are not fortunate enough to have a proper Fiber Internet connection to use capable of hitting 1ms or less to the ISP, and could be on anything from Interleaved ADSL to 3G internet, or Cable modem service. Anything that isn't Fiber based often attributes around 4-100ms of latency depending on the type of connection between their home and the ISP. Much of this has to do with the underlying technology and error correction at play. Add in all of the middlemen you often have to travel through in order to reach the host's ISP from your ISP, and you are looking at a potentially latent game.

Typically, if a game relies on P2P for hosting matches, you will find the latency to be higher than usual. Now, if you play on games that use Dedicated servers at a (non-crappy) Game Server Provider, you'll find the latency is often better and much more solid.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Reducing Latency
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It looks like your question has already been answered quite nicely over at DSLReports: https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/r29350094-Networking-Reducing-Latency

My only other tip for this which I have not posted on that site is to consider the kind of game you're playing in. A lot of console games tend to rely on a Peer to Peer system, which inherently leads to an increase in latency. Many other gamers are not fortunate enough to have a proper Fiber Internet connection to use capable of hitting 1ms or less to the ISP, and could be on anything from Interleaved ADSL to 3G internet, or Cable modem service. Anything that isn't Fiber based often attributes around 4-100ms of latency depending on the type of connection between their home and the ISP. Much of this has to do with the underlying technology and error correction at play. Add in all of the middlemen you often have to travel through in order to reach the host's ISP from your ISP, and you are looking at a potentially latent game.

Typically, if a game relies on P2P for hosting matches, you will find the latency to be higher than usual. Now, if you play on games that use Dedicated servers at a (non-crappy) Game Server Provider, you'll find the latency is often better and much more solid.

0 Likes