Renaming router network
Tech_Girl

Hello!

I recently got FIOS internet. The tech came here and set it all up. This tech gave me two routers, one is a extention. I had her put in a network name called My Wifi and My Wifi-5G.

I noticed that she put it in as Mywifi and Mywifi-5G. I noticed after she left and I wanted to change it so I logged into my router settings and saw Mywifi and Mywifi-5G. I changed it to My Wifi and My Wifi-5G and hit save. It seemed fine. I signed all of our devices on the network. However, I noticed that Mywifi and Mywifi-5G still show up on all devices lists as a network. I have never had that happen before. I have had Comcast and whenever I changed my network name, it just replaced it. This was not the case with FIOS.

I can't sign on the old network names as well. They just show up. Just for the heck of it, I switched my network back to Mywifi and Mywifi-5G. It made the current network go away from the list and go back to that one. 

Thing is, I can only see my current network My Wifi and My Wifi-5G in my router settings. The old names shows up on all devices lists. 

Is this a common thing? How can I make it go away? I can't get rid of the old network names via router sign in. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. 

0 Likes
Re: Renaming router network
jonjones1
Legend

@Tech_Girl wrote:

Hello!

I recently got FIOS internet. The tech came here and set it all up. This tech gave me two routers, one is a extention. I had her put in a network name called My Wifi and My Wifi-5G.

I noticed that she put it in as Mywifi and Mywifi-5G. I noticed after she left and I wanted to change it so I logged into my router settings and saw Mywifi and Mywifi-5G. I changed it to My Wifi and My Wifi-5G and hit save. It seemed fine. I signed all of our devices on the network. However, I noticed that Mywifi and Mywifi-5G still show up on all devices lists as a network. I have never had that happen before. I have had Comcast and whenever I changed my network name, it just replaced it. This was not the case with FIOS.

I can't sign on the old network names as well. They just show up. Just for the heck of it, I switched my network back to Mywifi and Mywifi-5G. It made the current network go away from the list and go back to that one. 

Thing is, I can only see my current network My Wifi and My Wifi-5G in my router settings. The old names shows up on all devices lists. 

Is this a common thing? How can I make it go away? I can't get rid of the old network names via router sign in. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Easy way is to reset the Verizon router via pushing the reset button on the back to factory.

when you are back up and stable access the router and change the wifi names to what you want.

please note most if not all routers do not allow spaces. So you may want to name them something like.

myfios-2.4

myfios-5.0

or any name as long as there are no physical spacing.

Good Luck

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you sure it is not just a profile that is showing up not actual ssid?

Easy way to tell is power down router and see if they show up.

0 Likes
Tech_Girl

Hi and thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate it. When I unplug the extended router, it removed the old network names Mywifi and Mywifi-5G. So, only my new networks that should've replaced those ones showed up. When I plugged in the extended router again, the old networks showed back up with the new networks. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Tech_Girl wrote:

Hi and thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate it. When I unplug the extended router, it removed the old network names Mywifi and Mywifi-5G. So, only my new networks that should've replaced those ones showed up. When I plugged in the extended router again, the old networks showed back up with the new networks. 

The extended router can be accessed via its IP address and you can then either change the name to what you want it to be or you can do a complete reset of the extended router and then pair it up again. The new networks should then be the only ones showing.

in our yard we use a Netgear Repeater and after it was paired with our Nighthawk it shows as the same names as what I call our networks. The only difference is the EXT

that is on each band. With hard wired ability to hook up via Ethernet it uses our house wiring to hard connect.