Replacing MI424RW router; comparing options?
Morgan191
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have an old MI424RW with the silver trim (from 8 years ago-ish) that's failing.

Coincidentally, I'm planning on renewing the 2-year agreement this week and, in checking out the replacement routers, see there's a Quantum option or an "advanced wifi" option that looks just like the MI424RW, but with red trim.

However, I don't actually see any model/revision info attached to either of those. Does anyone know how to tell what model either option actually is, and how to compare stats of what I have against what I'd get with a renewal?

Thanks, I appreciate it.

0 Likes
Re: Replacing MI424RW router; comparing options?
jonjones1
Legend
Morgan191
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks jonjones, I'm looking over the link now.

That page highlights one of the very issues I'm having, though: if you don't go the Quantum route, four different MI414WR routers are listed as options, with my current dinosaur being one of them. Is there any way to know what replacement router you end up with? This one's horrible wifi range is one of the reasons I'm replacing it; I don't want to end up with another model with the same issue.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have TV service with Verizon stb? If not, feel free to purchase your own router.

If you do, your best bet (IMHO) is to purchase a quantum router. Other option is to pay rent. In a little over a year, it is paid for if you purchase.

jonjones1
Legend

@Morgan19 wrote:

Thanks jonjones, I'm looking over the link now.

That page highlights one of the very issues I'm having, though: if you don't go the Quantum route, four different MI414WR routers are listed as options, with my current dinosaur being one of them. Is there any way to know what replacement router you end up with? This one's horrible wifi range is one of the reasons I'm replacing it; I don't want to end up with another model with the same issue.

Personally it is best to just ditch the Verizon router no matter what it’s called. However if you are using tv with your service the Verizon router makes VOD and Channel guide easy. There are adapters out there that will work just as well.

in the link I gave you there is a TPLink Archer that is rated outstanding and the cost is cheaper than many of the other 5 routers reviewed.

if you can get a router with external antenna and beam forming it is far superior to any Fios branded routers.

Morgan191
Enthusiast - Level 3

The TP-Link looks like it would work fine for me, but I'm still unclear on two things...

1) What exactly are the issues with using your own router if you have FiOS tv? Would something not work with the TV?

2) In trying to research an answer to ^ that question, I saw a few mentions of people saying you still need to keep the FiOS router (and/or hooked up?) so Verizon can troubleshoot things remotely. Is that accurate?

Thanks again.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

For question 2, the answer is yes you would need a Fios router in the mix for support from the ONT to the home router. However for question 1 you can obtain a MOCA adapter to use to hook to your set top box and this way you get video on demand and the channel guide.

i do not use Fios tv but use a streaming tv service called DirectTVNOW which is $35 a month no taxes or fees just that one price. If you had broadband only you would save a ton of money but just taking internet only. No phone or tv which brings your bill up to the high heavens. (Taxes and fees and surcharges and sports fees etc) 

you may need a smart tv or can buy a cheap Roku or chromecast doggle to watch streaming tv. You have Hulu and DirectTVNOW and YouTube tv as well as Sling all of which are apps on these doggies and most cell phones and computers.

for home phone MagicJack has a MagicJack Go selling for $35 one time charge, and comes with free 6-12 of calling. Again way cheaper than what Verizon and cable charges. Things to think about.

Morgan191
Enthusiast - Level 3

Apologies for not replying sooner; I'm suddenly getting some kind of infinite page re-load loop last week when trying to sign in on my usual browser. Switched to a different browser and finally got it working.

----------------------------------

jonjones (and others!), you've provided some good food for thought, thank you. I think dropping the TV portion and just going with Hulu/Philo/etc. will ikely be the route I take. But, of course, that opens up more questions...

1) How in the world do you remove services? I've had a triple-play bundle since 2010ish, but  (per my initial post) am not currently in in a 2-year agreement. When I go to the "update your plan" section, all I see are ways to change or add services: there's no way to remove TV and/or phone. Is this Verizon's ploy to make me call them and try to talk me out of it? I just want to see what the internet-only or internet+phone prices are, and that is so far eluding me.

2) I like the idea of buying my own router, but am still unclear on what that means for support. A previous reply indicated I'd still need a FiOS-branded router "in the mix" for support issues. I'd have two routers running concurrently, with two different network names? Which means I'd still have to be renting their router, and have it setup somewhere, even if I use my own?

Thanks, again. I know I have a lot of questions but this is more convoluted than I was anticipating!

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Morgan19 wrote:

Apologies for not replying sooner; I'm suddenly getting some kind of infinite page re-load loop last week when trying to sign in on my usual browser. Switched to a different browser and finally got it working.

----------------------------------

jonjones (and others!), you've provided some good food for thought, thank you. I think dropping the TV portion and just going with Hulu/Philo/etc. will ikely be the route I take. But, of course, that opens up more questions...

1) How in the world do you remove services? I've had a triple-play bundle since 2010ish, but  (per my initial post) am not currently in in a 2-year agreement. When I go to the "update your plan" section, all I see are ways to change or add services: there's no way to remove TV and/or phone. Is this Verizon's ploy to make me call them and try to talk me out of it? I just want to see what the internet-only or internet+phone prices are, and that is so far eluding me.

2) I like the idea of buying my own router, but am still unclear on what that means for support. A previous reply indicated I'd still need a FiOS-branded router "in the mix" for support issues. I'd have two routers running concurrently, with two different network names? Which means I'd still have to be renting their router, and have it setup somewhere, even if I use my own?

Thanks, again. I know I have a lot of questions but this is more convoluted than I was anticipating!

You must call and be firm that you want internet only. Yes they will try and talk you out of it. You must realize that internet only may be a higher cost.

another issue is telephone service (your phone number) must remain active prior to you canceling services. You can port it out and the number will be transferred to the other service. There is a cost to porting at some providers. A MagicJack plugs into your routers lan port or directly into your computers USB port and they charge for the device $40 with 6-12 months of phone service and can be used anywhere.

you can just select a number of your choice in your area and not pay a port charge to MagicJack.

tv well the streaming services are much cheaper and no taxes or surcharges or fees.

its true like I said you would need to own or rent a Fios router for support from the ONT to the home. However a good router after it is hooked will not need inside the home support. Mostly a restart (unplug and replug) occasionally. 

You return the Verizon router and have it removed from your account and have the rental fees stopped. Get a receipt from a Fios store in your home area. Make sure they have the correct name, address, city and state as well as the serial number etc from the returned router in case Verizon claims they never received it back.

you then save $120 a year, and it makes buying your own router more appealing.

0 Likes
Morgan191
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm confused... Aren't these two responses contradictory? "If you had broadband only you would save a ton of money by just taking internet only" and "You must realize that internet only may be a higher cost."

(For what it's worth, I'm on the lowest-tier Internet now and it's fine, so it's not like I'd be looking to jump up to the super-high-end tier all of a sudden.)

And the whole reason I'm trying to figure out costs beforehand is so I'm not calling Verizon unarmed, so to speak... I need to know what the options cost before being able to tell them I want to cancel: otherwise I'm potentially shooting myself in the foot. I can easily see what Hulu or the other services cost; I don't see how I can make an informed decision one way or the other without knowing what FiOS's individual costs are as well, which is ridiculous.

Eep. What a screwy situation...

0 Likes