Returning Comcast equipment
rrkalu
Enthusiast - Level 1
Has anyone had experience changing over to Verizon FIOS from Comcast and, if so, can they relate their experience in returning equipment to Comcast and having service terminated?
0 Likes
Re: Returning Comcast equipment
V_DSL_027
Had my FIOS installed March 29th.  Called COMCAST this past Sunday to cancel, no issues. Just need to return cable box and remote as I own cable modem. They gave me a final adjusted bill amount over the telephone.
0 Likes
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3

My comcast cancellation was very simple. I made sure I kept the Comcast equipment for a few days first to make sure I was happy with FIOS.. Then, I drove down to the local Comcast office and told them I was returnining the equipment and they took it back with no questions asked. I got a receipt for the equipment and paid the final prorated bill.

They did not ask me why I was cancelling service or even tried to "change" my mind with any special offers.  I really don't think the workers there care.

In fact, there were many people in line returning their equipment also. We all chatted and their stories were the same for Comcast(high prices, slow/poor internet service, not enough HD channels). Everyone who was returning the equipment had signed up for FIOS.

0 Likes
mark_e
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had a  different experience.  My FIOS install was 3/25 and on 3/30 I called Comcast and cancelled my service.  That same morning I drove to ComcastTown and dropped off my HD box and cablecard (I own my cable modem). 

I did not get a final bill and after a few days I checked comcast.com and it seems like I still have service.  I emailed their support via the web site and got this reply:

I understand you are concerned about billing after the time of your 
cancellation.  I sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding, and would
like to explain what has happened with your account.

When you request service to be disconnected as of certain date, billing 
will appear to continue beyond that date until we send out a technician 
to physically disconnect the service at the cable box outside the 
residence.  Once the service has been physically disconnected, billing 
will be finalized retroactive to the date you requested as the service 
disconnection date.

Please allow up to one full billing cycle for any credits to post to 
your account, and 6-8 weeks for any refunds due to be processed.  If you
would like more information about specific refund amounts, or final 
billing, please chat with us* at the following link and we'll be glad to
assist you: 

As of Saturday, my drop was still connected at the tap.  My neighbor's tap (on the same box) was disconnected with a lock on the F connector at the tap.

So, like most things Comcast's approach varies by area.  It should be a wash for me because my service was paid in advance through 3/30, and I have no intention of paying the current bill for 3/31-4/30.

I'm sure if I didn't pay when I still had service, they'd cut me off in a day! 🙂

0 Likes
jamieva
Contributor - Level 1
Make sure you keep track of when you called Comcast to cancel, and when they actually stop billing you.  When I switched over, Comcast tried to charge me for another 18 days beyond the day I called.  When I called Comcast they said they charge until they have a tech come out to turn off the signal.  Well under that Comcastic logic, they could not turn it off forever and keep charging you.  I had to escalate to the CEO office to get them to remedu the billing issue. 
0 Likes
mark_e
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think they are setting me up for the same.  Per the email they sent me, I used the chat last night.  It took 20 minutes and 2 CSRs to tell me that I was scheduled for disconnect on 4/13, two weeks after I called and turned in my equipment.  I asked them to confirm that I wouldn't be expected to pay for their delay, they told me to contact my local office (who had told me to use chat).  I emailed them again and was told to wait a full billing cycle for that to occur.  I pointed them to this thread where two people said they were given a final bill on the spot and their reply was:

I cannot speak for other former Comcast accounts.

I filed an online complaint with our county cable administrator, and will be calling their executive care line later today.

I do have direct emails for the CEO and COO, so maybe I'll email them.

0 Likes
mark_e
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just got a call from Comcast in response to my email to the CEO and COO.

"Joe" explained to me that's their system here.  It can take 2 weeks or more from your request until they roll a truck to disconnect at the tap.  Billing will be adjusted retroactive to the date you requested cut off.

Doesn't make much sense, but be sure to keep careful records of who you notify and when.  The most important thing is to get a receipt for equipment, signed by someone at Comcast.

As with everything Comcast, your situation may be different, since some previous posters got a final bill on the spot.

0 Likes
bob10345
My return was very simple. I called and cancelled on 9/22/08. I returned the equipment on 9/23/08. Comcast called three times after the return date and gave me different offers to go back to their service but I said no to all three. Than I got a fourth call and when I told them I was under contract for two years they have left me alone.  For me it's a no brainer FIOS or Comcast. In 2008 (until 9/22) I had Comcast service people at my house 11 times and never got anything resolved. Sometimes the reception would be okay for an hour or two but most of the time they'd leave scratching their heads. I had a problem they called "digital tiling". Fios was installed and I have had no issues (knock on wood) since day one with either internet or TV.....So Comcast makes it easy to switch over......
0 Likes