Rev. I ActionTec router sucks wirelessly. Any router reccomendations?
Vigz
Contributor - Level 1

I've had it with this slow {word filter avoidance} (I'm very frustrated to the point where I am cursing on this forum) ActionTec router. Sure, VZ add words like 802.11 "N" and "two antennas". Let's face it, wireless performance sucks on the VZ ActionTec Router. I can't even download a 10MB Google Play app unless if I wait 10 mins. Paying $100 a month for this router combined with FiOS "Quantum" is stupid. If anybody uses a different router other than ActionTec that improves wireless performance, could you please let me know what router you have? Thank you. VZ, I'm also getting fed up with your relationship with Google (Mainly Youtube throttling). Obviously, you haven't seen the thread that was filled with a copious amount of complaints. You're starting to look very avaricious.

0 Likes
Re: Rev. I ActionTec router sucks wirelessly. Any router reccomendations?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Use any router that you think is good, however you will still need the VZ router as the gateway router for guide and on demand stuff.  If those tv features don't interest you just replace the VZ router with the one of your choice.

Personally I use a Netgear WNDR3700 for tv streaming and also data sharing via hard drives connected to it's usb port.  As it's a wireles N router wifi access and range are far better.  You can connect your own router/s either as downstream routers with their a different subnet or as an adjunct to the VZ router sharing the same subnet.

SteveP2
Contributor - Level 2

I bought the Amped Wireless AP2000G high power access point. You really do not need another router. An access point will do just fine, and will not have all the crap that a router has. My AP has been flawless and its high power now gives me coverage in all places of my home, which cannot be said for the the crap wireless support in the Verizon provided router.

I am, however, working on a problem with my setup and that is the use of the new FIOS Mobile app. Its supposed to allow you to watch live TV on your tablet of choice, but for some reason when I try to connect its telling me I need to be connected to my FIOS broadband router. Waiting for a response from Verizon on this.

Steve

Vigz
Contributor - Level 1
It's very hard to pick one since there are so many and if the router I choose is more horrible than the VZ one.
0 Likes