Ridiculous Data Transmission Rates...Help
RobS

Hey all - this is my first post here so I'll try to keep it succinct : )  Here's my issue:

I just upgraded to the 25/25 FiOS plan and have confirmed that the service has been delivered. While checking my new speeds, I have oberserved the following

1. My wired PC gets a download speed of 25+ Mbps down and 9-11 Mbps up.

2. Sitting in the same room as my wireless router, my laptop gets 9-10 Mbps down and 7-9 Mbps up.

3. One floor down, my wireless PC gets 7-9 Mbps down and 4-8 Mbps up.

4. Going down to the bottom floor, my laptop gets fluctuating rates of 2-7 Mbps down and 1-2 Mbps up.

As for hardware, I am using the wireless router provided by Verizon (don't have exact model on hand) and I have a LinkSys WRE54G range extender helping to boost the signal downstairs.

As you can see, there are some obvious issues.

First, why is my wired connection only capable of 9-11 Mbps up? Is this a simple configuration issue?

Second, why is my wireless so abysmal? If this is as good as it gets, I don't think I'm going to stick with the 25/25 plan as most of my internet access is through wireless.

Also (and I'm going through LinkSys' website too), why isn't my range extender really helping out? Data rates that low don't lend themselves to streaming movies, etc. which is what I usually do on that level of the house.

And finally, does anyone know if Verizon wireless routers allow you to upgrade the antenna? I was thinking of taking the omni-directional antenna out and replacing it with a high-gain directional version.

Sorry for the length! If you need more detail, I'll be more than happy to supply it. Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Re: Ridiculous Data Transmission Rates...Help
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 What is the exact brand, model, and version of the Verizon router that you have?

#2 What speed test site (OR Sites) did you go to?

#3 What software firewall is on your computer?

RobS

1. I'm not at my house right now so I can't look up the exact info for this. I believe it is Actiontec, or something like that.

2. I've used numerous sites to test speed, including Verizon's tool. The one I use most, however, is speakeasy.net.

3. For firewalls I have:

- No firewall on my XP machine (using the router's instead).

- Laptop is Vista, so using its firewall

- Mac is using its firewall

0 Likes
RobS

Oops, one small oversight. On the XP machine, I have Windows firewall turned off but I may have Norton Internet Security performing this duty. When I get home, I can provide more accurate info.

0 Likes
RobS

Also, digging through Verizon's website, it appears the router I have is the Actiontec MI424WR.

0 Likes
RobS

Ok, this is silly. I'm responding to my own post way too frequently : )

While digging around for information, I came across this excellent resource for Actiontec routers:

http://www.actiontec.com/support/product_details.php?pid=41&typ=all#q2

This one page answers many questions about the router they make specifically for Verizon. And to answer my own question for the benefit of others, you can upgrade the antenna. The existing antenna provides 7dBi of gain and has a RP-SMA connection (Reverse Polarity Sub Miniature Adapter). So you can buy an upgraded antenna provided it connects via the same manner.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

First off, you will not see anywhere close to that 25 speed on a wireless. You will be lucky to see 15-19 down when in the same room. and the further away you get (even a single wall between you and the router) will significantly reduce that speed. That is the tradeoff you get with wireless. Now as for your wired computer. It likely only needs to be optimized.

http://www2.verizon.net/help/fios_settings/optimizer/

Mikhail
Enthusiast - Level 3

RobS wrote:And to answer my own question for the benefit of others, you can upgrade the antenna. The existing antenna provides 7dBi of gain and has a RP-SMA connection (Reverse Polarity Sub Miniature Adapter). So you can buy an upgraded antenna provided it connects via the same manner.

Just be carefull. 7dB antenna is omnidirectional. If you buy high gain antenna (passive one) -- it's going to be directional. It's good if you saty in "leaf" direction but signal will be really weak as soon as you move out of "leaf".

0 Likes
stevejones1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wondering if you ever added the Reverse Polarity Sub-Miniture Adapter (RP-SMA) to Actiontec router as I was condiering the same thing.   I tried to find the adapter at Radio Shack and Best Buy and could not.  So, my questions are:

Does the adapter work with the Verizon Actiontec router to appreciably extend your wireless footprint?  If yes, where do you buy it?

If it did not work, any other suggestions for achieving this result? 

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RobS wrote:

Ok, this is silly. I'm responding to my own post way too frequently : )

While digging around for information, I came across this excellent resource for Actiontec routers:

http://www.actiontec.com/support/product_details.php?pid=41&typ=all#q2

This one page answers many questions about the router they make specifically for Verizon. And to answer my own question for the benefit of others, you can upgrade the antenna. The existing antenna provides 7dBi of gain and has a RP-SMA connection (Reverse Polarity Sub Miniature Adapter). So you can buy an upgraded antenna provided it connects via the same manner.

Buy yourself a wireless N router and connect it to the Actiontec by wire LAN to WAN  (different subnet) in a convenient location for your machines.

Use that router's wirelsss for connecting as it will have better range and faster speeds.

The actiontec router is wirelss G, rated 54mb with actiual thruput probably closer to 10.  As you've seen the actual signal sucks making it even slower.  No real point in wasting money on a deficient piece of equipment