Ridiculous Fees Charged for Tech Visit
cm122

We recently moved into our new apartment and chose Verizon because we've had wireless for our phones for years now and have been happy with the service. Originally, when the technician came out to install the internet and router, there was issues on the Verizon end that couldn't "access" or "activate" the internet. The physical router was working and online, but coud not access the web. The technician stayed for awhile, calling supervisors and such, but eventually just left me with his business card saying "someone will call you soon about it" and to "keep trying to activate it". I thought this was extremely ridiculous as my first encounter with the new plan.

So we were without wifi for a few days until a new tech could come out and do what the first one could not. Thankfully, he was super helpful and got us online somehow.

Fast forward two weeks to yesterday when we got our new couch delivered and we were rearranging the room around. I unplug the router and modem from the wall to move the couch into position, because they were on the table close to where the couch was to go. When I plug everything back in, just as it was moments before, the globe icon flashes red signaling that we once again aren't connected to internet. While spending 2 WHOLE HOURS on hold trying to get to speak with an agent, I managed to pull up the live chat feature on my phone and tried to walk through the issue with one of those agents. Long story short, they counld't figure out the issue and scheduled to have a tech come out and fix it.

Today the tech arrived and seemed to know immidately that the phone jack cord needed to be replaced and used a new one and we were back online. He then proceeds to tell me that I'd be charged $99 for the visit, along with around $100 for the new wire that probably costs about $10. This I thought was absolutely unbelievable and extremely shady. I told him that it was obviously a faulty wire given to us or damaged upon installation considering it only lasted a few short weeks. There is no way that it was broken or damaged from the 3 minutes it took me to unplug it from the wall and then plug it back in.

He then proceeds to promise that the fees COULD be waived if we signed up for the maintenence plan this same day to which of course I agreed to avoid these insane fees. He then told me that he couldn't "get it to work" and that someone would call me back to set it up and the fees would be fixed. When the rep called me back shortly after he left, he seemed to think i was crazy and told me that what the technician just promised me was impossible and that he couldn't waive any fees for me and was of no help whatsoever.

It's terribly shady to not give your customers any quote/insight into fees that you might run into when scheduling a technician visit especially when the problem was not one that was caused by the customer. This was a terrible experience with Verizon and I seem to be already considering making a jump over to Xfinity.

Has anyone else experienced these insane hidden fees and had any success with customer service trying to right them? Thanks in advance.

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Ridiculous Fees Charged for Tech Visit
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi cm12,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Message Inbox for a message from Verizon_Support. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes