RJ45 port on the ONT box
lou611661
Contributor - Level 1

i am a PC tech,and would like to use this port for downloading drivers and updates for laptops,right now i have the coaxial activated,and this port is not active,my question is can it be activated and work with the coaxial needed for TV.  

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: RJ45 port on the ONT box
FuiosMark
Enthusiast - Level 1

The ONT is designed to delivery Internet service via Ethernet (RJ45) or via Coax, but not both

Right now, the data service is being delivered via Coax plugged in to the back of the router

The RJ45 port can be activated for data service but then the data service to the Coax will stop

If you decide to enable the RJ45, you'll need to run Cat 5 or 6 from the ONT to the router to keep the program guide, VOD and PPV services working on your TV.

Once your wiring is set up, contact the FSC and ask the agent to contact an NT to switch the ONT from Moca to Ethernet.  Any NT will be able to assist.

View solution in original post

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why not just use the ports on the router?   

The router is connect via MoCA to the ONT (Ethernet over Coax) using a frequency around 1150Mhz with a bandwidth of about 200Mbps (this is rate throttle to whatever you service plan is).   The router also talks MoCA on a different frequency around 1000Mhz to the STB's.   This lower frequency channel is bridged to the WiFi and hardwired LAN ports on the router.

The STB's depend in the path thru the Coax to the router, thru the router LAN to WAN NAT mechanism, and then from the router to the ONT to the Internet in order to function properly.

Since you're a TV customer, this path must be preserved unaltered in order for you STB's to function properly.

While the ethernet port on the ONT can be activated, doing so mean deactivating the MoCA WAN connection on the ONT.  In this type of installation, what Verizon then does is run the ethernet connection from the ONT to the WAN ethernet port on the router and the only MoCA which is then used is for the STB's to talk to the LAN side of the router.

0 Likes
FuiosMark
Enthusiast - Level 1

The ONT is designed to delivery Internet service via Ethernet (RJ45) or via Coax, but not both

Right now, the data service is being delivered via Coax plugged in to the back of the router

The RJ45 port can be activated for data service but then the data service to the Coax will stop

If you decide to enable the RJ45, you'll need to run Cat 5 or 6 from the ONT to the router to keep the program guide, VOD and PPV services working on your TV.

Once your wiring is set up, contact the FSC and ask the agent to contact an NT to switch the ONT from Moca to Ethernet.  Any NT will be able to assist.

lou611661
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for the replies,i figured seeing that port on the ONT it could be used to access the internet, the router which i use for my 2 PC's and a PS3,but sometimes i have several customers laptops in for repair,that port looked nice for another connection.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

In that scenario, the port is on the "wrong side" of the router (it's internet facing, not LAN facing) so it wouldn't be usable.

In your scenario, just go buy an inexpensive switch (not router) and connect it to one of the LAN ports on the router.  An 8-port 10/100 switch can be had for about $25 online which would take you from 4 available ethernet ports to 10 ports (2 of the ports - on the router and one on the switch being used to interconnect the two).   A 5-port switch can be had for even less.

0 Likes
lou611661
Contributor - Level 1

Good point 

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@lou61166 wrote:

could i run a Ethernet cable from the ONT right to a nic card, and not use a router. 

You could, but you would lose internet access on your other PCs.

Any PC connected directly to the ONT would be fully exposed to the internet and would not be protected by the firewall in the router.