Router access
SeniorGhost
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have an Actiontec MI424WR BHR and tried to access it to disable wireless for a period of time.

I entered the User & Password that has worked in the past  admin & password1 but it will NOT let me in. I have made NO change to either User or PW.

Can, and or does Verizon make changes in this respect - without notifying the user?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Router access
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@SeniorGhost wrote:

I have an Actiontec MI424WR BHR and tried to access it to disable wireless for a period of time.

I entered the User & Password that has worked in the past  admin & password1 but it will NOT let me in. I have made NO change to either User or PW.

Can, and or does Verizon make changes in this respect - without notifying the user?

Verizon and several other manufacturers and providers were the subject of a large MAMMOTH hacker symposium where key and critical flaws were discovered and made available to the public and hackers at large which compromised your security in very significant ways.  Verizon took a proactive step in changing the password for any customers that had default passwords like the one you are describing and did send out emails to customers that registered with them and have and check their verizon.net email address.       The password is now more secure and only you and verizon will know the default one.  

The default password has been changed to the Serial Number of your router at your home which can be found on the service tag of the router itself.  It is on the actiontec sticker physically located on the router, and is underneath the bar code.  It is case sensitive, so use that one and you should be able to get in.  

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

@SeniorGhost wrote:

Verizon and several other manufacturers and providers were the subject of a large MAMMOTH hacker symposium where key and critical flaws were discovered and made available to the public and hackers at large which compromised your security in very significant ways.  Verizon took a proactive step in changing the password for any customers that had default passwords like the one you are describing and did send out emails to customers that registered with them and have and check their verizon.net email address.       The password is now more secure and only you and verizon will know the default one.  

The default password has been changed to the Serial Number of your router at your home which can be found on the service tag of the router itself.  It is on the actiontec sticker physically located on the router, and is underneath the bar code.  It is case sensitive, so use that one and you should be able to get in.  

SeniorGhost
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks

I may have missed it but if not, I wish they would have given us a clue. I wasted a good bit of time trying to log on. I appreciate the effort to protect us, but............

Thanks  again for assuring my sanity Smiley Happy

BTW - That resolved my problem.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

np,  a lot of people had the same concerns as you did, so you aren't alone.  There are still some mixed feelings about them doing that, but they decided to err on the side of caution.     some people were ok with it, a lot of people not ok with it, but it is what it is.   as long as it wasn't done maliciously then I am semi ok with it fwiw, but I can definetely appreciate people's concerns about it.     glad it worked and helped. 

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS403259248520100722    the article in case you're bored or wanted to read about it. 

djhorn

this thread is helpful and seems applicable to the problem that we are also experiencing, but using the serial number found on the router did not work for the password with admin as the login name. is there any other way to access?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

hi,   just remember the password is case sensitive   so it should be CSJDxxxxxxx    if that doesn't work then you can factory reset the router  (there is a red circle on the back where the cables are)  you have to push that in for 15 seconds and release, and then that will allow you to create a unique new password.   try to avoid password1, or verizon1 or admin1 or things like that.     either mimic the serial number again or use a password that you feel is safe and secure,   I am pretty sure it has to be numbers and letters.  

JW103

I tries the solution of using the serial number and it didn't work for me. Any other suggestions out there?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
The factory reset will work. Try to hold it down longer if it did not work. Remember to shut down your browser and reopen it after reset. Also this is for actiontec and westell brand modems
0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

For what it's worth, Verizon should have sent you an email if they changed your router password (to your verizon.net address), and they *did* post this in their Announcements area:

Important Announcement Regarding Home Router Security

It seems that the links listed in the announcement may be having some trouble, so I did a little digging and found another link to the same help article:

Router Security Update

0 Likes