Router brands compatible for a desktop
SIVADCR

I have Verizon service but I need to add an additional router to hook up my desktop in my home office. What brands are compatible with Verizon internet/TV service?. Of course Verizon offer an adapter for $299,  That's a little to pricey since all I need it for is a computer. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Router brands compatible for a desktop
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You have a verizon router and TV service presently?   So there is a coax connection made to your Verizon router?  If so ...

Get and ActionTec ECB6200 MoCA bridge and connect it to the coax in your office and then connect a simple 5 or 8 port switch to the ActionTec (not a router, just a switch).     Good to go.   Only have on computer in the office?  Just connect it directly to the ECB6200, no switch needed.

Already have Ethernet running to the office from the Verizon router?  Just connect the switch to the ethernet.  

If none of this matches your setup, provide us some more detail.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

A typical install uses one router.  With Verizon TV in the mix, that router should be  Verizon model.

Adding additional routers or access points are added when WiFi is weak in some locations.  Is that the problem you're trying to solve?  If so, can you describe what connectivity is available between the Verizon router and the desired location?

If WiFi coverage is not the issue, can you state what problem you're trying to solve?

Also, please describe your existing install.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You have a verizon router and TV service presently?   So there is a coax connection made to your Verizon router?  If so ...

Get and ActionTec ECB6200 MoCA bridge and connect it to the coax in your office and then connect a simple 5 or 8 port switch to the ActionTec (not a router, just a switch).     Good to go.   Only have on computer in the office?  Just connect it directly to the ECB6200, no switch needed.

Already have Ethernet running to the office from the Verizon router?  Just connect the switch to the ethernet.  

If none of this matches your setup, provide us some more detail.