Router Download at 941mbps / Device download at 29mbps - what a joke
eubanksp

On the device speed test with Verizon, I'm only pulling about 29 mbps down and 51 up. 

I have tried contacting Verizon multiple times. First, their number redirects you to a Verizon wireless customer support, and the people there agree that they also have trouble getting through to someone in customer support with Fios. 

The three or four times I've gotten through to customer support with Fios, they take you around and around all the basics and then claim that they can only guarantee a high speed connection when you're plugged into the router with an ethernet cable.  So, if you're on wireless with a brand new laptop (Dell Inspiron dual band wireless AC 3165), the best I can do is 26mbps?

How is it legal for Verizon to get away with this? What can I do?

0 Likes
Re: Router Download at 941mbps / Device download at 29mbps - what a joke
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't think any of the providers will guarantee performance over wifi.

Are you sure you are connecting to 5G vs 2.4G? What model rotuer do you have?
Its possible that you are having some sort of interference affecting your wifi performance.

If you have an android device, download an app called wifi analyzer.

It can help you determine optimal channel settings for best performance.

0 Likes
eubanksp

When I swith to 5G, it's definitely faster at around 244 down 277 up, but this is still a far cry from 990 that the router is at, and the upload speed still seems abnormally higher. 

Any thoughts? 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@eubanksp wrote:

When I swith to 5G, it's definitely faster at around 244 down 277 up, but this is still a far cry from 990 that the router is at, and the upload speed still seems abnormally higher. 

Any thoughts? 

Maybe you did not read what the other replyer said. WiFi speeds are never going to be anywhere near 940/880 as is a direct connection to the router via ethernet using Verizon’s Test site.

device speeds mean zero, at best you may obtain 1/3 maybe 1/2 the listed speeds.

and that is with a top of a line system, top of the line processor, SSD hard drive, and a radio that can do wireless ac/a/b/g/n (to achieve that 1/3&1/2 speeds), the laptop must have gigabyte ethernet port at the very high ends. Dell computers I highly doubt have all these specs.

Additionally in the router settings disable WWM it’s like using UPnP which is not necessary. 

If the connected speeds seem off kilter, you may not have been provisioned correctly. When you do reach tech support have them check. 

Lastly it may simply be a bad router. Maybe a swap out is in order.

0 Likes