Router Issues on Cell phones?
pdentrone
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a strange issue that is happening out of nowhere.  All of a sudden when cell phones are connected to the Fios WiFi, apps (Instagram, mail, etc.) will not refresh, apps run slow if at all.  Once I disconnect and go back to the cell signal, everything runs like normal.  The strange thing is I'm definitely connected.  I run a speed test from the device and I'm getting a great speed.  My laptop connects perfectly with a fast download upload speed.  Other devices are connected, but do run a little slower (google nest, Smart TV, Streaming bar).  Is there a security setting I should be looking at?  I've discussed with Verizon support and all they see is a good speed and devices connected and blame the devices not their signal, yet this doesn't happen anywhere else except at home on the Fios wifi. I'm ready to request a new router....done all the troubleshooting I can think of.  I've only been with Verizon for 2 months so I have the latest router and I'm paying for the 1GB speed.

Thanks

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Router Issues on Cell phones?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@BMG4ME wrote:

This is related to IPV6.  If you turn off IPV6 support in the router then the phones work normally.  This was suggested to me, I did it, and it works.

This is absolutely the wrong answer.

Google makes clear that it won't comply with RFC 3315/8415, https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/36949085

So either Google needs to bring their devices up to code, or the user cannot use Android devices on Verizon's IPv6 network.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

As long as you do not support from Verizon AND OR you do not have Fios TV One/Fios One TV, you are welcome to use your own NAT router (support will end at the ONT if this is the case).

BMG4ME1
Enthusiast - Level 3

That doesn't solve the issue.  I am having the same issue with two different Android phones connected to my Verizon Fios Wifi6 router.  One issue I see is that when I try to add location details to a Google Calendar event, it doesn't come back with suggestions, but when I turn off Wifi, it does come back with suggestions. There needs to be a fix applied to the Router, not to the phone, and getting a new router is not an option, we paid Verizon for our router and it ought to work properly.

0 Likes
tfoperator

Having the same issues which also only started a month ago. To do anything useful on my cell phone (Verizon) I need to shut off WiFi and use mobile data. I thought it may have been due to using an older phone, but I just got my daughter a new one yesterday and the same issues persist on hers.

0 Likes
BMG4ME1
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is related to IPV6.  If you turn off IPV6 support in the router then the phones work normally.  This was suggested to me, I did it, and it works.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@BMG4ME wrote:

This is absolutely the wrong answer.

Google makes clear that it won't comply with RFC 3315/8415, https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/36949085

So either Google needs to bring their devices up to code, or the user cannot use Android devices on Verizon's IPv6 network.

BMG4ME1
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's not the wrong answer, because it works. That doesn't mean it's good.