Router Password Keeps Changing
jdingler

When I change my router password, it only lasts for a day or so, then is changed and I can't log in.

Everytime I need to make a change to my configuration, I am forced to do a hard reset, and enter then entire configuration again.

Even my LAN settings are getting reset, though my wireless continues to work.

Is my router defective?

0 Likes
Re: Router Password Keeps Changing
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I suspect either a) your router is defective or b) someone is hacking into your router and changing the password.

When you change your password after a reset-to-default are you using a different password each time, or the same one?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's also possible Verizon could be resetting the password from the backend. With most of the ISP provided gateways and routers having TR-69 support these days, who knows. 

In the past, Verizon's backend was resetting FiOS router passwords with a default password to something based.around the router's serial number. 

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I hope you aren't setting the password to "password" or "password1", because they always change that.  Also do you have In Home Agent installed on your PC.  It MIGHT be changing the password to what it was last told it was.

0 Likes
jdingler

I don't have home agent, and I use strong passwords.

I change the password everytime I reset it.

It's done this for years, and I have heard that Verizon resets the passwords.

It just seems strange that they would consistently change it within a couple days after I change it.

The serial number doesn't work as a password when it's reset.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Changing it within a few days is consistent with what they were doing to eliminate routers being left with the old default passwords ("password" and "password1") . 

I don't have "In Home Agent" installed, but one of things it does is change your PASSKEY and your router password, which is why I Mentioned it.  Never heard of it resetting the router password unexpectedly, but it can change it which is why I mentioned it.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I think were I having the problem the OP is experiencing, I'd call Verizon and ask them to send me a replacement router.  It seems to me the current router being used has a glitch that may or may not be fixable.