Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu

Router Speed Test Slower than Device Speed Test

rek
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Router Speed Test Slower than Device Speed Test

Message 1 of 3
(732 Views)

I have the Verizon Quantum router on 300mb FIOS internet and Verizon speed test gives me:

ROUTER:

255mb down and 325mb up

DEVICE:

304mb down and 360mb up.

I also thought device speed was speed taking computer limitations into account and Router speed was Router to internet without computer limitations.

But I get faster Device speed so that doesn't make sense.

2 REPLIES 2
appDev
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Re: Router Speed Test Slower than Device Speed Test

Message 2 of 3
(658 Views)

NOT AN ANSWER, but:

I would try to replicate the results with various devices and various times of the day, if possible. If this happens only once, i'd chalk it up to a glitch.

You are correct - you cannot possibly have a faster connection that your router when you are, indeed, going through the router.

jonjones
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Router Speed Test Slower than Device Speed Test

Message 3 of 3
(651 Views)

On a 300/300 speed you should be getting about the same speeds or a little over from your router. Not less. 320/340 etc. it’s not a magical stopgap at just 300/300 sometimes it can be less.

now at less than a gigabyte it is possible to obtain router speeds and device speeds at near or over the 300/300 speed. Depending on the device like iPhones you could get a faster device speed. But like the other poster said it just could be a fluke.

years ago with cable internet my iPhone had the same speed as my then modem/router it always amazed me.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title