Router stuck "Obtaining DHCP lease"
matt1122
Enthusiast - Level 2

I woke up this morning and could not connect to the internet.  The Network and MOCA lights on the ONT are green.  The Internet light on the router is yellow.  When I go to Network Connections in the router configuration it tells me it is "Obtaining DHCP lease" but just sits there.  It's been stuck this way for several hours.

I have tried restarting the router both via the reboot option and by unplugging it, waiting, then plugging it back in.

Is there anything else I can do before I call for service?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Router stuck "Obtaining DHCP lease"
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@matt1122 wrote:

I woke up this morning and could not connect to the internet.  The Network and MOCA lights on the ONT are green.  The Internet light on the router is yellow.  When I go to Network Connections in the router configuration it tells me it is "Obtaining DHCP lease" but just sits there.  It's been stuck this way for several hours.

I have tried restarting the router both via the reboot option and by unplugging it, waiting, then plugging it back in.

Could try restarting the ONT.

You'll need to disconnect the power line and the battery to do do that.

View solution in original post

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@matt1122 wrote:

Could try restarting the ONT.

You'll need to disconnect the power line and the battery to do do that.

Sledgehammer2
I had the identical problem. Once I figured out that the ONT is the box verizon hooked up in my basement I followed the directions (unplug and disconnect battery, wait 1 minute, replug and reconnect the battery) and everything works again. I wonder why Verizon help didn't suggest this? Too complicated for most?
0 Likes
Sledgehammer2
FYI.ONT stands for Optical Network Terminal. It is where the FIOS line comes into your house and gets converted into an electrical signal.
0 Likes