Router upgrade?
1cyclist

My internet speed seems to have slowed dramatically lately. My router and modum are at least 10 years old. Would an upgrade help? If so how do I get an upgrade?

0 Likes
Re: Router upgrade?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking to other customers here.

If you're a FiOS customer, you don't have a modem.  Just a router.

If you're using WiFi, try using an Ethernet connection.  WiFi is notorious for interference issues.

If you're a DSL customer, you do have a seperate modem and router.  Again, test with Ethernet for best results.

The latest and greatest FiOS routers from Verizon are the Actiontec rev I (802.11g, single band) and the Quantum (802.11ac dual band).  Either of these will give much better WiFi performance than the older routers.   Verizon will sell or rent them to you.  You may get one free with an upgrade to 75Mbps service.  Give Verizon a call or chat to find out what options are availble for you.

DSL users can easily use any router they want.  You can buy a new router from a wide range of retailers.

If you want more specific suggestions post back and tell us the specific service you have and the model numbers of your current equipment.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Re: Router upgrade?
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

A new router will only help if the old router is bad otherwise it will not help.

0 Likes