Router
BlastGangg

Hello Verizon, I was wondering if you would be willing to send us a free router (F-R-E-E). Our router that we had before (D-Link, not one you gave us), is no longer working anymore. I tried to do a reset on it many times, and it is still not working. Even when the D-Link router did work, it would disconnect many times, and is a major problem that I've seen many reports of online. The router that you guys gave us, works completely fine though. So, I was wondering if you could just send us a 2nd copy of the standard router you guys have. We really need to be corded in for the most part, so this has a big effect. If you could please send us one of your standard routers that you give when you signup for service for F-R-E-E, we would be beyond thankful. This second router is needed very much, because of multiple technology devices that we run. No matter what we are going to need a 2nd router, so we cannot just swap the Verizon router that we already have for a 2nd one. Hopefully you could send us a replica (please), of that one, to replace the D-Link router that we were once using as our second router. This is not a question about a replacement router but a second router, that we need very much. I am desperately asking you to please send a second router that we can have for free, because we need it very much, and do not have the money to buy a new one. Thank you so much! If yes, we can give further details, thanks again!

Reply E-Mail: {edited for privacy}

0 Likes
Re: Router
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi BlastGangg,

Just a friendly reminder, this is a forum where users help other users. It looks like your issue may require a Verizon representative to review your account details. Please visit Contact Us or our Support page for a variety of ways to contact Verizon, including “Ask Verizon,” our virtual chat agent, and customer support phone numbers.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking to other customers here.  The Verizon moderator has provided you with links to talk to them, if that's what you  want.

The Actiontec routers provided with FiOS are actually rather good at handling lots of devices.  I've got 20 some odd devices in my home running without any problem (laptops, smartphones, tablets, game consoles and a blue ray player). 

If you want help from us users, tell us more about what equipment you have and what isn't working.  We might be able to help you get it working to meet your needs.

There are ways to use a non-Verizon router with FiOS.  It seems like you've been doing that.  If so, you can purchase a new router for not much money.  Several online retailers have decent, if basic, routers for well under $50.  Again, let us know your needs and we can make some suggestions.

Finally, you can purchase equipment directly from Verizon.  They are currently offering a free upgrade for older Actiontec routers; you just have to pay shipping.  This might be an option for you.  Check out:

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/ShowCart

If this is helpful or if you have questions, please post back so we know you're actually reading.

Enjoy.

BlastGangg

@gs0b wrote:

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking to other customers here.  The Verizon moderator has provided you with links to talk to them, if that's what you  want.

The Actiontec routers provided with FiOS are actually rather good at handling lots of devices.  I've got 20 some odd devices in my home running without any problem (laptops, smartphones, tablets, game consoles and a blue ray player). 

If you want help from us users, tell us more about what equipment you have and what isn't working.  We might be able to help you get it working to meet your needs.

There are ways to use a non-Verizon router with FiOS.  It seems like you've been doing that.  If so, you can purchase a new router for not much money.  Several online retailers have decent, if basic, routers for well under $50.  Again, let us know your needs and we can make some suggestions.

Finally, you can purchase equipment directly from Verizon.  They are currently offering a free upgrade for older Actiontec routers; you just have to pay shipping.  This might be an option for you.  Check out:

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/ShowCart

If this is helpful or if you have questions, please post back so we know you're actually reading.

Enjoy.

I understand all of that, and I know for sure that the Verizon Actiontec Router is perfect for handling many devices, but that is a bit diffrent from my question here. You have to put into consideration that many devices may refer to wireless rather than wired devices, and what I am saying here is that I need to be wired for the most part. 4 Ethernet ports on the router is probably enough for 90% of all Verizon customers. I need a second router for ANOTHER room that has more devices that cannot be corded into the one Router because there is only 4 ports for Ethernet connections. Either way, thanks for your reply, I appreciate it very much!

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

If all you need is more Ethernet ports you don't really need another router.  A simple switch will do the trick.  Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG1008D-1000Mbps-Switching-Capacity/dp/B001EVGIYG/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UT...

A switch requires no configuration.  You simply connect an Ethernet cable between any of the LAN ports on your Actiontec router and any of the ports on the swtich.  You can then use the remaining ports on the switch to connect to other devices.

0 Likes
BlastGangg

@eljefe wrote:

If all you need is more Ethernet ports you don't really need another router.  A simple switch will do the trick.  Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG1008D-1000Mbps-Switching-Capacity/dp/B001EVGIYG/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UT...

A switch requires no configuration.  You simply connect an Ethernet cable between any of the LAN ports on your Actiontec router and any of the ports on the swtich.  You can then use the remaining ports on the switch to connect to other devices.

I know exactly what a switch is, it is a router without the WiFi broadcast, it is basically like a USB hub for Ethernet ports instead. I need a F-R-E-E router not a switch that I have to pay for from Amazon. If I had the money to pay for a switch from Amazon I would get one rather than asking here on a public support forum. I appreciate the fact that your trying to help me out, but it isn't. Did you even read the post above, that states that I do not have any money to pay for this kind of equipment? If so, I do not know why you are posting me Amazon links. Again, the question is pretty simple and I am asking if I can have a free router to do what I need to do. Thank you very much trying.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Verizon doesn't offer switches from what I can tell and see on their product page, but if I could make a suggestion.  If you got the free Actiontec which, as you mentioned, is another router, you can connect it to your Westell, and reconfigure it so that it's just a bridge (basically a switch) instead of a router.    you would have to follow these or similar instructions.

after you were done reconfiguring it as mentioned, you would have more ports.

FYI when ordering from that page, it makes no mention of returning your old router.  so you would keep the two.

0 Likes
BlastGangg

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

Verizon doesn't offer switches from what I can tell and see on their product page, but if I could make a suggestion.  If you got the free Actiontec which, as you mentioned, is another router, you can connect it to your Westell, and reconfigure it so that it's just a bridge (basically a switch) instead of a router.    you would have to follow these or similar instructions.

after you were done reconfiguring it as mentioned, you would have more ports.

FYI when ordering from that page, it makes no mention of returning your old router.  so you would keep the two.

I do have one Actiontec router, that we got when we signed up with Verizon. The router that recently broke on us was a D-Link, not a Westell. I do not even know what a Westell is, but I expect that it is another brand of router, the way that you explained it. I am not trying to sound like a trouble-maker from any of these replies or posts. I do appreciate the suggestion though, If I had the option of doing what you said, I would, but I don't. Either way, I do thank you for trying to help me man, I appreciate that very much.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Nobody here is going to give you any free equipment.  We're users, just like you.  Verizon does not give out free equipment, except  to replace broken equipment.

A switch is not a router without WiFi.  A router is a device that connects two networks together and handles the protocol processing between them.  There are many routers that don't have WiFi, including the ones that run the Internet.

A switch, as you've noted, is essentially a device that allows more Ethernet devices to connect to a network.  It does very little processing.  As such, they are much simpler and cheaper than routers.

As Hubrisnxs notes, you can configure a router to act like a switch, but you can't configure a switch to act like a router.

If you truly have not even a few dollars to spare, then maybe you should talk to friends to see if anyone has an old switch or router they can give you.  If you can spare a small amount of money, you may be able to find one at a resale shop or get one of the low cost ones from Amazon.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
BlastGangg

@gs0b wrote:

Nobody here is going to give you any free equipment.  We're users, just like you.  Verizon does not give out free equipment, except  to replace broken equipment.

A switch is not a router without WiFi.  A router is a device that connects two networks together and handles the protocol processing between them.  There are many routers that don't have WiFi, including the ones that run the Internet.

A switch, as you've noted, is essentially a device that allows more Ethernet devices to connect to a network.  It does very little processing.  As such, they are much simpler and cheaper than routers.

As Hubrisnxs notes, you can configure a router to act like a switch, but you can't configure a switch to act like a router.

If you truly have not even a few dollars to spare, then maybe you should talk to friends to see if anyone has an old switch or router they can give you.  If you can spare a small amount of money, you may be able to find one at a resale shop or get one of the low cost ones from Amazon.

Good Luck.

For the most part about the switch, I was correct. I understand like you said it goes more in depth than just being a device that allows more devices to connect. I am not asking any users for free equipment. I made this thread because I was told to do so. Either way, I appreciate the fact that your trying to help though.

0 Likes