Routers Advise?
ntantaros
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello,

Just upgraded Fios internet to 75/35.  Looking to also upgrade my router.  Have a home office far from the current router and signal is weak.  Currently have the following router:  Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. C

My questions are as follows:

1.   Will the Wireless N Router Verizon Offers be worth it?  Will it increase my wireless signal in my office?
  2.   Is it better to buy a router on my own Router that is not an ActionTec?  If so any suggestions?
  3.   Will another Router be supported by Verizon?  I also have Fios TV, how will this work into the non-ActionTec Router?

Thanks. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Routers Advise?
td224h
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello:  You have asked about increasing the new speed you have with "Will a new Router help".  I can only tell you YES.  If you go with the Actiontec Wireless N Gen.3 Router.  Its they're newest.  It will help with your speed and security (if you need that too).  I purchased MY OWN...I am very glad I did.  There is a huge difference in the speed and I moderately increased speed with Quantum before purchasing the new Router.  You will be happy that YOU own your own Router, plus this one comes w/two (2) USB ports for additional use.

I want to tell you one thing that I have found to be consistent...whenever I have called Verizon's tech support for any concern for this new Router..I have found them to be extremely capable, and very personable.  I am glad about the decisions I made...I have seen great improvement in two (2) desktop computers, and one laptop...and ALL my additional devices.  This is MY experience, and for my money, I would only go with Actiontec because Verizon knows their products...and they can address any issues that may arise.  Good luck with what you do.  I believe you will be very happy.

I also want to note here...it is important to frequently check your computer settings, that they are what they should be (and what you want them to be), this is also important to having your computers and services running well, and because you also have FIOS TV...you will be better served with the new Router I mentioned here.  Hope this is helpful.

View solution in original post

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

1)  Depends on what's important to you.  If you want a mediocre supported N router, then possibly.  If you want a top notch N router, then no.  The rev. I won't increase your range significantly.

2)  The rev. I is not dual band and is limited in throughput.  There are better choices for N routers.  See smallnetbuilder.com for recommendations.

3)  No.  Another router will not be supported by VZ.  See the following FAQ for connection options and trade-offs.

What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

td224h
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello:  You have asked about increasing the new speed you have with "Will a new Router help".  I can only tell you YES.  If you go with the Actiontec Wireless N Gen.3 Router.  Its they're newest.  It will help with your speed and security (if you need that too).  I purchased MY OWN...I am very glad I did.  There is a huge difference in the speed and I moderately increased speed with Quantum before purchasing the new Router.  You will be happy that YOU own your own Router, plus this one comes w/two (2) USB ports for additional use.

I want to tell you one thing that I have found to be consistent...whenever I have called Verizon's tech support for any concern for this new Router..I have found them to be extremely capable, and very personable.  I am glad about the decisions I made...I have seen great improvement in two (2) desktop computers, and one laptop...and ALL my additional devices.  This is MY experience, and for my money, I would only go with Actiontec because Verizon knows their products...and they can address any issues that may arise.  Good luck with what you do.  I believe you will be very happy.

I also want to note here...it is important to frequently check your computer settings, that they are what they should be (and what you want them to be), this is also important to having your computers and services running well, and because you also have FIOS TV...you will be better served with the new Router I mentioned here.  Hope this is helpful.

Mauser
Enthusiast - Level 3

@ntantaros wrote:

Hello,

Just upgraded Fios internet to 75/35.  Looking to also upgrade my router.  Have a home office far from the current router and signal is weak.  Currently have the following router:  Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. C

My questions are as follows:

1.   Will the Wireless N Router Verizon Offers be worth it?  Will it increase my wireless signal in my office?
  2.   Is it better to buy a router on my own Router that is not an ActionTec?  If so any suggestions?
  3.   Will another Router be supported by Verizon?  I also have Fios TV, how will this work into the non-ActionTec Router?

Thanks. 

You have not provided much information to allow us to help you, but several people have tried anyway.  YOu will need to try to see what question they thought they were answering before you can decide if their ideas have any merit for you.
  Here's my opinion:

You seem to imply that your only problem is a weak wireless signal to your office (which suggests that the internet speed is just peachy when either close to the router or connected by wire).  If this is true, then absolutely NO different router will provide a significant improvement.  Yes, the new Actiontech gigE routers have lots better capabilities than the old POS you have, but none of those capabilities will magically solve a poor wireless configuration.  Without knowing a lot more about your building and how you have things set up right now, all I can suggest is that your best bet would probably be to buy a new high-end 'N' access point (or router to run with DHCP disabled) and run cat5 cable to locate the new access point phisically closer to your office.  Not that this suggestion does NOT replace your existing router.

If you want faster internet speeds than your current router can provide with a wired connection (gigabit speeds instead of just 100 megabit speeds), then you will need to both replace the current router AND do something else to address the weak wireless signal inyour office.

I do not believe that you can have FiOS internet or FiOS TV guide data without using the Verizon supplied routers as the 'front end' WAN connection.  But I will admit that I have never tried this - just going on what I have read.

Good luck.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@td224h wrote:

plus this one comes w/two (2) USB ports for additional use.

The USB ports are powered, but not supported.

0 Likes
ntantaros
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you all for the tips.  Good stuff and good info!!! 

0 Likes