Re: Routing Issues
jpstone1022
Enthusiast - Level 1

@CRobGauth wrote:

I asked what you expected for latency.

You said you stated it in your post. But your post said you measured 80-120. Then said Comcast was 17. So you are really expecting in the 20 range I would assume.

My apologies. I misread your comment. But yes, for a server just a few miles away, I would expect no more than 25ms.

@CRobGauth wrote:

Changing routing is not as easy as you report. Putting statics in a network the size of Verizon's is impossible. The number of nodes that would need to be updated would be huge.

From my understanding, this is a pretty common complaint by customers to Verizon--frequent, incredulous routes to nearby servers. This isn't something that should take fancy network statistic monitoring. Routing protocols--if configured properly--should handle this with ease. So either a) Verizon has bad network design, or b) they are intentionally sending this traffic to distant routers to allow other traffic through that they feel is more important. If the former, shame on them. If the latter, shame on them.

But to address your point oabout the number of nodes that would need to be updated--again, this isn't an issue. Routing protocols propogate themselves...no need to manually update each router. Just configure a neighbor zone appropriately and let it propegate. Issue resolved.

CRobGauth wrote:Problem is, Verizon probably has little interest in the correcting a routing issue for just one network.  

This isn't "just one network". I frequently use 2 servers: one in Ashburn, VA and one in DC. Both on different networks. Both exhibit this issue with Verizon. Couple that with all the other complaints users are voicing, and I would say it's not an issue with any one network--except, say, Verizon's network, and their routers. So if they have "little interest" in resolving an issue like this, I will certainly take my business elsewhwere.

Can someone from Verizon confirm this is the case? Do you have "little interest" in fixing these issues? If no response from Verizon directly, then I would assume CRobGauth's viewpoint represents Verizon's.

CRobGauth wrote:Espeically for a residential user (unfortunately that is the reality. Those of us that are residential, get no SLA and minimal support when it comes to correcting this type of issue).

Again, is this true, Verizon? Let me know now and I will take my business elsewhere. I have no interest in being in a one-sided relationship.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Keep in mind that this is mainly a peer to peer support forum

Don't expect a formal response from Verizon here.

And my experience is that all providers treat residential and business class services different.
That's why they pay more. Pay more, get better service.

0 Likes
jpstone1022
Enthusiast - Level 1

CRobGauth wrote:

Keep in mind that this is mainly a peer to peer support forum

Don't expect a formal response from Verizon here.

I don't expect one, but as a customer, I deserve one.

And my experience is that all providers treat residential and business class services different.
That's why they pay more. Pay more, get better service.

If they want to lose customers, then they should definitely adopt this sort of attitude. Not saying business class shouldn't take priority, but customers are customers, and Verizon should aspire to excellence. If they want to sweep an on-going, widely-affecting, multiple-customer impacting issue like this under the rug, then that says a lot.

0 Likes
seitzbg
Enthusiast - Level 3

It is not unusual for Verizon's backbone routing to be complete crap.  Not to mention peering is horrible with a lot of major players like Amazon/AWS. I get ~1Mbps downloads from dropbox since they host on AWS.  I can upload quite fast to AWS.   Some of their other peering has been getting better since all of the net neutrality stuff hit the law books and has been on the news but clearly some of it is still horrible.

During peek hours I get 70ms to 8.8.8.8 from one of my five IPs, however if I try another I get 20ms. Either they dont care, don't want to spend the money, or have monkeys working there.  The bad part about this is you can't even call and get support because they will just run you through a script or send a technician out to fix a problem on THEIR network.

I too am in the VA area.