Re: Routing / Latency issues
Darn2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Its funny stumbling upon threads like these because verizon really is not going to do anything about it.  I started complaining about this problem 3 years ago. I'm pretty sure they flagged my account so tech support ignores me now. I can pretty consistently go to pingtest.net and get 100ms+ latency with 10-20ms jitter. You all are crying on deaf ears. Online gaming probably makes up about 10% of their users so they dont really care. I can go to to the same server 3 days in a row and ill get a different ping each time, usually varying degrees of horrible. Here is a pingtest from yesterday:

and a traceroute

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Darn wrote:

Its funny stumbling upon threads like these because verizon really is not going to do anything about it.  I started complaining about this problem 3 years ago. I'm pretty sure they flagged my account so tech support ignores me now. I can pretty consistently go to pingtest.net and get 100ms+ latency with 10-20ms jitter. You all are crying on deaf ears. Online gaming probably makes up about 10% of their users so they dont really care. I can go to to the same server 3 days in a row and ill get a different ping each time, usually varying degrees of horrible. Here is a pingtest from yesterday:

and a traceroute

Ouch.

To argue to that, I know Verizon routinely touts in their marketing that their service is THE BEST for gaming simply because it's Fiber. I suppose if they wanted to live up to that they would take care to fix the latency and jitter issues. But granted as you've stated, gamers tend to be the unfortunate minority who pay more money than usual for higher capacity service (Of course, more capacity !=faster in some cases) and Verizon also has no motivation to fix it since they are consumer, not business grade circuits.

Anways as to the question as to what sort of pointers can be given, I've got someone currently looking into it and i'm waiting to hear back from them as to what they can find. A quick look by them isn't turning up anything but they'll investigate further on Monday. They were trying to see where I am routing through entirely, however Verizon's system keeps complaining about something and it wants to auto-fix something that will genuinely hose my service up if applied.

0 Likes
szymiszymi

If it stays like this I'm gonna switch my provider. Why should I stick with company that doesn't care at all ?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

for my edification, what fps are you guys running at?  (frames per second)

0 Likes
click4dylan
Contributor - Level 1

I've had this problem myself ever since FIOS was ever installed back in 2007. I can't connect to any server hosted in the state of Florida because it always routes through georgia. The screenshots below are actually on a particularly good night. It's usually much worse. And alter.net always has ping spikes basically 24/7 and i've even recorded it going up to 1000+ms before. I spent countless hours on the phone dealing with tier 1 support and never receiving call backs. They say it's not their problem since Alter.net is not owned by verizon which it clearly is. Every single connection I make to any server whether it's in antarctica or not will route through alter.net in atlanta, georgia before it goes anywhere else. This adds 30ms to every connection I make.

Here's an example to  a server that should give me less than 5ms latency. It's RIDICULOUS! Not only does it route through tampa and then atlanta first, it then goes back down to MIAMI, and then BACK to tampa! :

0 Likes
JamesCav

There is definitely something going on at Verizon's back end.  I've been running a ping test over the past four weeks, and you can clearly see that the issue started about two weeks ago.  

In the charts below, week 00 corresponds to the first week of January.  Look at Week 03 onwards and you'll see the disaster.  All ping tests are from a server in Manhattan.  The problem appears to be concentrated in the East Coast, but it may be more widespread.  I've included ping test reports for other FiOS users as well. 

New York, NY

New York, NY

Needham, MA 

Camden, NJ

Carnegie, PA

There's definititely some some oversubscription going on backbone.  The problem seems to be primarily in the East Coast.  I did some investigating and haven't seen these issues on the West Coast. 

Come on Verizon!  You've touted your superior FiOS service, and now this?  Maybe it's for the better.  A few days ago RCN called and offered me a 50/6 package for $30 per month, with no equipment fees or contract.  With the FiOS network going downhill, it makes my decision to switch that much easier. 

0 Likes
click4dylan
Contributor - Level 1

You guys make it seem like your routing issues have lasted forever, but us in FL have had pitiful routing and a laggy backbone since it was put in the ground! When other people from FL connect to me in-game they ask me why their ping is so ridiculously high when they're connected to someone who lives less than 100 miles from them. Fix the routing in florida, or at MINIMUM fix the Atlanta backbone because I'm really sick and tired of websites randomly not loading for up to 30 seconds at a time (including verizon.com!), and ping to everything spiking up to 1000+ every couple of seconds for a split second

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@click4dylan wrote:

You guys make it seem like your routing issues have lasted forever, but us in FL have had pitiful routing and a laggy backbone since it was put in the ground! When other people from FL connect to me in-game they ask me why their ping is so ridiculously high when they're connected to someone who lives less than 100 miles from them. Fix the routing in florida, or at MINIMUM fix the Atlanta backbone because I'm really sick and tired of websites randomly not loading for up to 30 seconds at a time (including verizon.com!), and ping to everything spiking up to 1000+ every couple of seconds for a split second

I've unfortunately have complained about the lack of local routing to servers for a while. I'm in the same boat as you but I have to route through New York for everything. Too many eggs in one backet. Meanwhile, it's convenient to go from your local area and take any one of 5 different routes to a nearby server, maybe not always cheap in a network architect view, but it sure cuts down congestion from a common route.

0 Likes
Bsylvia1

What I don't get about this whole situation is that my latency was absolutely fine since I've gotten Verizon, and has also been fine for about 6 months playing on this game (MWO) server. Then in early January my latency triples but only when connecting to this server which as far as I can tell is when I go through the "tinet-gw.customer.alter.net" node. I am able to ping other servers on the other side of the US under 100ms.

Looks like I may have to give Comcast a call to get back some real internet service.

0 Likes
Johnny_Utah
Enthusiast - Level 3

Guys,

A LOT of reports of the same out here in California and also TX over the last two weeks between 7pm-10:30pm PST.  I dropped from 75-80Mb/s to SEVEN Mb/s.  Upload is unaffected.  Cannot game at all.

I am ready to switch back to cable...I never had problems.  Seems like nobody at Verizon is listening and I have called now 5 times in the last two weeks.

0 Likes