Seagate Goflex Home and Verizon actiontec router
stevemiller57
Has anyone been able to successfully connect and use the Goflex Home NAS system on their FiOS actiontec router, without it consistently losing connection in the software? It worked at first, but then it just drops off, even though I can still ping the drive, it doesn't show up as a network drive and the backup software can't access it. I am running windows 7 home premium.
0 Likes
Re: Seagate Goflex Home and Verizon actiontec router
Kipp2

I can't even connect.  I just bought a 2tb GoFlex hard drive that is "Supposed" to connect to the internet.  The instructions make it seem it is basically a "plug and play" setup.  I can ping the hard drive I can see it on my network and add to it from my home network but it is being blocked from interent access and I cannot complete the setup of the drive.  It keeps making an error message: "Failed to connect to NAS unit."  Can anyone help me!!!!

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

I don't have a Goflex, but a couple of things come to mind:

• Does the Goflex have a sleep mode?  If so, can you turn disable the sleep mode?   That might cause it to lose it's connection.
  • Does the IP address of the Goflex change?  If so, try assigning the Goflex a static IP address or using a DHCP reservation.  That way it will keep the same IP address.
  • Check the vendor for firmware updates.  This could be a firmware problem in the NAS.
0 Likes
stevemiller57

It's not going into sleep mode; it's in the middle of  the initial large backup process (in excess of 600 GB); The IP address has not changed so far, so I don't think that's the problem; I did check for updated firmware and I already had the latest version.  

0 Likes
jeffx

I think I can provide some input on this issue.  Unfortunately, it is not a resolution of the matter, but perhaps it can provide additional info to someone who is more technically proficient.

I purchase a 2TB Goflex Home a few days ago and also have not been able to get it connected.  I spent a great deal of time with Seagate Tech Support trying to resolve the problem.  The technician was most patient and spent several hours with me, including accessing my computer remotely.  Among other things, he advised me that most antivirus programs should be disabled, and some uninstalled, when attempting to setup this device.  Specifically, he advised that Norton should be disabled and Kaspersky should be uninstalled completely.  In my case, I have Norton, which we disabled - still no luck. 

Apparently, when the device installation is attempted by the Seagate Dashboard software, the Goflex Home device is assigned an IP address and is recognized by the Actiontec Router.  If you go into the Verizon/Actiontec Menu, you can see the device and ping it successfully.  However, the device is NOT recognized by the computer.  If you ping the device IP address from the browser side, the ping fails.  Thus, the computer is not communicating with the router, or more specifically, with the particular  IP address assigned to the Goflex Home device.  Seagate Tech Support gave up and advised me to return the Goflex Home, indicating that "something" is blocking it from communicating and they were not able to determine what and why.

I decided, out of curiousity, to pursue the problem further.  I called Verizon, who would not deal with the matter at all and referred me to a third party premium technical support operation - I did not want to pay to educate someone else.

On my own, I discovered that four of the ports that are supposed to be open for Goflex Home to work properly were closed.  I was able to open ports 80, 22, and 443, but was not able to open port 21 (FTP Access).  I do not know if this is the cause of the Goflex Home not installing correctly, but it still did not work with ports 80, 22, and 443 open.  I investigated further and looked into how to open port 21 in another way.  At this point, I stumbled upon the following article dated August 30, 2011, indicating that Verizon is no longer providing FTP (port 21) personal website access and that it is only available to business users.

Verizon Eliminates FTP Access As 'Enhancement' And Another Perk Bites the Dust...
by Karl Bode Tuesday 30-Aug-2011 tags: dsl · business · alternatives · bandwidth · telco · consumers · Verizon FiOS · Verizon Online DSL

For the last month users in our Verizon forums say Verizon has been telling users they'd no longer be getting FTP personal website access "for security reasons." A letter tells users the elimination of FTP access is an "enhancement," and users can still use a Verizon sitebuilder tool. Except our users note the tool is rather awful, making it very cumbersome for users to manage uploaded content. This may not be a particularly big deal to some users (especially those who want their ISP as a dumb pipe), and the elimination makes some sense in the age of cloud storage. Still it's part of an ongoing trend where the consumer is given fewer and fewer perks alongside a connection, be it newsgroup access, a backup dial-up account, or FTP storage -- but never sees a reduction in their monthly bill. The Consumerist picked up on this, and notes that Verizon's security concerns disappear if you pay an extra $6-$10 for hosting plans. 

Perhaps this is the reason that the Seagate Goflex Home device does not work with FIOS,

As for me, I returned the device today!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could anyone who has a GoFlex post up the error screen you receive when the GoFlex Connect software fails to see the NAS? I'm assuming the NAS is using nothing more than Samba shares (which would be similar to WIndows File/Printer Sharing), unless it's something proprietary. If it is using Samba shares, some firewalls such as ZoneAlarm and NIS tend to be very, very picky about how it is done. Also, if you have any PCs that have been running since going to sleep, go reboot them along wit hthe router and try setup again. If it is using SMB shares or Windows File and Printer sharing, those tend to get picky when not directly connecting via IP when computers that have come back from sleep are on the network. It's one of those funny Post-WinXP SP3 glitches.

As far as Port Forwarding goes, that should not be needed until after the install. It doesn't seem practical that it would want that to happen right then and there. Verizon might also block Port 21 inbound (the last I checked they did not), but that has absolutely nothing to do with Verizon shutting off FTP access to Personal Web space that they offer.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Smith6612 wrote:

As far as Port Forwarding goes, that should not be needed until after the install. It doesn't seem practical that it would want that to happen right then and there. Verizon might also block Port 21 inbound (the last I checked they did not), but that has absolutely nothing to do with Verizon shutting off FTP access to Personal Web space that they offer.

Port forwarding shouldn't be needed at all.  Port forwarding is from the WAN to the LAN.  A NAS device and all the machines  communicating with it are on the LAN.

Port 21 inbound can be opene, depending on region, but that is only meaningful if you have a device running an application that is  listening on port 21 that you want to expose to the internet.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Port Forwarding step I was talking about references Seagate's Website stating how the NAS can be reached from the Internet if it's one of those types. Otherwise, yes it would not be needed by any means.

0 Likes
PN009
Enthusiast - Level 1

Guys,

Seagateshare works on FIOS. I just setup mine after some tinkering with the settings.

Here's what I did

1. Connected the drive to LAN Port 1

2. Open up your Router settings (192.168.1.1, user - admin.....)

3. Go to Advanced settings

4. Select Port configuration

5. Select '100 Full Duplex'  in speed against your lan port 

6. Apply

Go ahead and refresh - you should be all set. 

This setup worked for me. Hope it works for you too. all the best

weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

The FTP that Verizon disabled is the FTP to THEIR servers used for THEIR Personal Webspace service. It had nothing to do with any FTP server you might have inside your home.

port 80 is for an HTTP server, or webpage access in the NAS.

port 22 is for Secure logins and secure file transfers (ssh, sftp, etc).

port 443 is for Secure Socket Layer (SSL) transactions. (HTTPS, among others)