Secondary Router connection problems
unite5

I have an ASUS RT-N16 that i am trying to piggy back off of the actiontec. i currently have the ip set different from the default and ip on the fios router. connected LAN (fios) to WAN (ASUS) and no internet access. is there something i am missing? so far FIOS reps have been unwilling to give me solid information on the situation. should i pay somebody to set up this connection? it seems like the should be willing to help since i am still using their service and simply trying to connect an old laser printer via usb. any information is appreciated.

Frustrated User

0 Likes
Re: Secondary Router connection problems
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

In a LAN-to-WAN configuration, the following must be true:

1)  The Asus must be set to obtain a WAN DHCP address automatically, or it must have been assigned a static WAN IP address on the Actiontec's subnet (192.168.1.x).

2)  The Asus must have a LAN subnet address other than 192.168.1.x.

3)  DHCP server must be enabled on the Asus.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@unite5 wrote:

I have an ASUS RT-N16 that i am trying to piggy back off of the actiontec. i currently have the ip set different from the default and ip on the fios router. connected LAN (fios) to WAN (ASUS) and no internet access. is there something i am missing? so far FIOS reps have been unwilling to give me solid information on the situation. should i pay somebody to set up this connection? it seems like the should be willing to help since i am still using their service and simply trying to connect an old laser printer via usb. any information is appreciated.

Frustrated User

Verizon doesn't officially support anything besides the Actiontec router as they install it.  They may provide some assistance for setting up client devices such as computers, however they aren't going to give much help with a second router or adding a USB printer to that router.  The potential combinations of equipment that people can install is huge, and to expect Verizon to support anything we users might install is quite frankly unreasonable.

Now, that doesn't leave us users without any support options.  Here's some ways you can get this working:

• Utilize web based forums like this or other sites to learn from and exchange ideas with other users.  Use web search engines as well.  You may not find exalt what you need, but you'll learn a lot.  This is a good approach for a reasonably technical person.
  • Read the manuals.  Learn about networking protocols either by tacking classes or reviewing online course work.  In other words, become very knowledge at networking.  This builds on the above suggestion.  Great for very technical people and will enable you to tackle most any networking problem.
  • Hire a local support person to configure your network.  If you are interested, have them explain what they did so you can learn from it.  If you don't care about what they did, don't ask and be prepared to pay them again if you need to change anything.

You've gotten some great pointers from Anti-Phish.  It's up to you where you go from here.  Just don't expect Verizon to be any help.  It's not part of their service.

Good Luck.

CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

You don't need a consultant.   Just follow the instructions above in Anti Phish post.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@unite5 wrote:

Frustrated User

As anti-phish says connecting tha asus lan to wan would mean that the asus would need a static address on the 192.168.1 subnet and the lan side would be set to be adifferent subnet other than 192.168.1  Doing that won't alloww devices on the 192.168.1 subnet to access the printer - at least I doubt it will.  I know on my setup like that the usb port is addressed via the lan side of the router not the wan sie.

However is that what you really wanted to do?

I suspect that what you actually wanted to do was add the Asus router to the 192.168.1 subnet as it has a usb port on it that you want to share with other devices on the vz subnet.

To do that before connecting it to the vz network you should configure it via a machine connected to one of it's lan ports.

You need to give it an address on the 192.168.1 subnet and turn off the dhcp server.

Then connect a lan port from the fios router to a lan port on the asus router.  Any device connect to the 192.168 1 subnet should then be able to get to the printer via the static address you gave it.

0 Likes