Security Log on Westell 9100EM
philn11
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Everyone,

It recently viewed my security log on my Westell 9100EM router and I found some disturbing things.  I usually don't get anxious about the security, but now I am.  The router kept blocking many different IPs from all over the world.  There were probably 15 IPs blocked within 2 minutes time.  And I was not surfing the internet and the only other two devices connected were my 2 set top boxes.  Every time I refreshed the list 2 or 3 more showed up blocked.  There was even 1 from China blocked twice, once as an admin blocked.  I did some search on that one and it is a known China threat. 

Should I be worried about all this activity?  Is it normal?  I understand that the router is meant to block harmful attacks, but this seems very frequent.  And what if they get through? 

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

0 Likes
Re: Security Log on Westell 9100EM
tns
Master - Level 2

Its normal, and why you need decent firewall software.

0 Likes
Re: Security Log on Westell 9100EM
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's considered normal network traffic if they are simply trying to connect to ports. It's possible a person who had your IP address previously was either in charge of running a game server, perhaps. It could also be some botnet searching for open ports. Either way, the router shouldn't pass any of that traffic onto the network even with the router's firewall disabled due to the way NATs work, but if it does, it never hurts to have a software firewall installed on your PCs.

0 Likes