Security Settings
sparker2000

I just wanted to ask people what security they have setup on their FIOS router?  I just switched to WPA and turned off broadcasting....Also is it possible to upgrade or check to see if their is a firmware upgrade for the router?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Security Settings
starrin
Contributor - Level 3

@sparker2000 wrote:

I just wanted to ask people what security they have setup on their FIOS router?  I just switched to WPA and turned off broadcasting....

WPA2  WOuld help if you told us which router.  But, see answer to next question and you may get enought to help you

Also is it possible to upgrade or check to see if their is a firmware upgrade for the router?

GOOGLE: < checking for FiOS router firmware upgrade >  Lots of info

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

sparker2000 wrote:

I just wanted to ask people what security they have setup on their FIOS router?  I just switched to WPA and turned off broadcasting....Also is it possible to upgrade or check to see if their is a firmware upgrade for the router?

Thanks

WPA2 is the current gold standard.  While WPA is better than nothing, and better than WEP, it's still too easily hacked compared to WPA2.

Turning off broadcasting your SSID doesn't help security any and can cause problems with your devices connecting to your network.

As for the firmware upgrade, (assuming you have an Actiontec router) if you click on the "Advanced" button on the router's setup page, one of the choices is "Firmware Upgrade."  If you click on that link the choices there are self explanatory. 

sparker2000

Okay I go into my advanced wireless settings and try to turn on WPA 2...Make the necc changes and save it or apply the changes and when I log off and then back in, the changes are not reflected.  Am I doing something wrong.  I currently have Actiontec MI424-WR as my wifi router.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I'm guessing that not turning off WEP first, before enabling WPA2, is causing your problem.

On the Wireless Settings >  Basic Security Settings page, turn off WEP, step 4, and apply that change.

Then go to the Advanced Security Settings page, click on WPA2, enter a Custom Pre-Shared Key and click Apply.

That should keep your change to WPA2 working.