Re: Serious need of help. VOIP soft phone one-way audio
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Ok looks like it also needs the following

IPCommunicator uses TCP 2000, and UDP 16384-32767.

Check this search;

http://tools.cisco.com/search/JSP/search-results.get?isFormSubmit=true&strqueryid=&country=US&langua...Follow up question.  Is it Actiontec plugging into a cisco box and then your phone, or just actiontec and that plugs str8 into your phone?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I can see your picture images now, so Go ahead and add the last port forward rules that I mentioned above and see if that helps.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

And this actually may be the fix for your issue.

One-way Audio on a VPN Connection from SoftPhone

You might have to take that to your IT folks and share it with them if they haven't already addressed that yet.

jherrod11
Enthusiast - Level 1

I might need a bit of clarification on the additional rules you mentioned... 

In the below screenshot, I'm choosing Custom Port, and for the Protocol, I can choose either TCP or UDP. What I'm not 100% sure about is where to plug in the ports or port ranges (Source Ports, Destination Ports, or Forward To Port).

Also, would I need to delete the prior 3 rules I created?

Thanks again so much for your assitance!

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Well you should leave the rules in that you have already built. These are in addition to those.

It should read similiar to this when you're done

192.168.1.8  TCP ANY -  2000, and 192.168.1.8 UDP ANY - 16384-32767          

When you input the range you'll type it just like shown, 16384-32767  

After you apply it,  make sure to reboot your soft phone.

0 Likes
jherrod11
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was able to add the two additional rules (see below), but after rebooting my PC and launching the softphone, I tried calling out again and I can hear nothing on the other end, but the caller can still hear me.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Ok, great,  at this point the router looks like it's properly configured.   You have the correct PF rules. 

So now I believe you'll have to do this last step,  But I think you might have to either give it to your IT guys for this one, or refer to the cisco forums and documentation to fix this last part.

One-way Audio on a VPN Connection from SoftPhone

When you configure a SoftPhone to connect through a VPN, it is important for Cisco CallManager to receive correct information about the IP address the SoftPhone uses. By default, the Cisco IP SoftPhone uses its physical network address to register with Cisco CallManager rather than with the VPN address. Cisco CallManager instructs other IP phones to send to this address. The result is a one-way voice since the IP phones are able to reach the VPN address of the PC and not the physical interface of the PC.

This sounds like the devices isn't sending the right address, and needs to be adjusted. But I am unfamiliar with the cisco software, so I am not sure I could tell you how to plug that in.

0 Likes
jherrod11
Enthusiast - Level 1

That does make sense about IP Communicator not sending the correct address. Still not sure why I can go to other locations like McDonald's, connect to their wi-fi, then connect to VPN, and two-way audio works fine there. The only place where it's blocked is at my apartment. Really strange.

I will definitely go through the steps in the link you sent me with my IT people in the office tomorrow and I'll post another reply when I find out more.

Thanks again 🙂

0 Likes
JohnyCastle

Looking for similar help.  My VOIP phone cannot reach my companies server.  I've added some of the PF rules, but issue is not resolved.  Verizon will not assist me.

0 Likes
DanQ1
Enthusiast - Level 1

We solved this problem at work by going into Windows sound settings and disabling the "line in" under recording devices. For some reason the line in was interferring with the microphone. Hope this helps.