Service failed, multiple routers not passing traffic
kc2kth
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yesterday morning we lost our Fios internet service (we are internet only customers). I’ve spent several hours with Verizon support and we have been unsuccessful in getting either the Quantum router or my own router (Ubiquity Edge Router Lite) to work. Additionally Verizon had me bypass the router completely, laptop to the ONT, and the problem persisted.

Basically what we see is with the Verizon router or going direct to the ONT, we get an up address but we lose 50% of ping attempt packets. Most browser requests are not successful. Maybe 1 in 10 pages at least begin to load.

With my own router, I get an IP address but cannot pass traffic. Ping requests from the router indicate destination unreachable, even to the upstream Verizon router. The arp table for the outbound interface shows the arp entry for the upstream router as “incomplete”. That is the only entry in the table for that interface. If I run tcpdump on the interface, I see the arp requests from my router, but never a response.

Verizon can’t get a tech out until Monday. I’m hoping to come up with a solution before then. Unfortunately I’m running out of ideas. 

Any thoughts on what could explain this behavior? Is Verizon just not routing the arp replies back to me for some reason, or is there something on Verizon’s side blocking the requests that their Tier 2 missed while looking at it?

Thanks in advance for sny suggestions!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Service failed, multiple routers not passing traffic
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

This sounds like a PON issue. Nothing on your end can be done. When the tech comes on Monday, kindly ask the tech to check ONT alarm logs, especially looking for signal strength and power alerts.

View solution in original post

Re: Service failed, multiple routers not passing traffic
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

This sounds like a PON issue. Nothing on your end can be done. When the tech comes on Monday, kindly ask the tech to check ONT alarm logs, especially looking for signal strength and power alerts.