Setting up a wired network with a wifi router
mikefelton

Hi,

I have a Verizon FiOS system with a Quantum Gateway G1100 router. Right now I have the router installed in the study on the first floor. The main system is in the basement. Also in the basement are a series of ethernet cables that go through the whole house. I'd like to use those cables to have wired internet available too. Ideally I'd like to keep the router in the study though.

When the system was installed, the installer told me of a way to do that that sounded really elegant, but I don't remember what it was. My father in law thinks that I'll have to move the router into the basement. Can I do this?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Setting up a wired network with a wifi router
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Use the ethernet cable from the study to the basement to connect the fios Quantum Gateway router to an ethernet switch. Plug the ethernet cables in the basement into the switch. You just have to buy a switch large enough to plug all your ethernet cables into.

View solution in original post

Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Use the ethernet cable from the study to the basement to connect the fios Quantum Gateway router to an ethernet switch. Plug the ethernet cables in the basement into the switch. You just have to buy a switch large enough to plug all your ethernet cables into.

mikefelton

Awesome thank you!

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader
If you have a coax connection in the basement you could move the router down there and use the ports on the router for 4 ethernet connections.  Of course the wifi signal from the router would then probably be degraded in the rest of the house.  

0 Likes