Setup Drobo Pro on FiOS with VPN?
dalbeck

Hello Everyone,

I purchased a Drobo Pro a while ago.  I need to set this up so 2 of my coworkers can access this when it is setup at my house.  I was told by Drobo support that this could be accomplished through a VPN.  Can you tell me how I can go about setting this up, also do I need any other hardware or can this all be accomplished through the Verizon router?  Thank you for your help!

0 Likes
Re: Setup Drobo Pro on FiOS with VPN?
Brad-DRI

Hi,

The way to share a DroboPro with others is to attach it to a computer on your network, then share out the volumes you connect to that computer.  Other people will access the storage by accessing the share on your computer.  The DroboPro is designed to be directly connected to a single computer via the Gb iSCSI, Firewire 800, or USB 2.0 connection.  Once connected to that single computer you can network share the resource through your computer to others on the network.   

Hope that helps.  You can also feel free to contact the Data Robotics support team directly at 1-866-426-4280 during normal business hours.

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
dalbeck

Brad-DRI,

I am trying to share the Drbo Pro outside of my network.  I have a business with 2 partners who do not live in the same house as I do.  I want to setup the Drobo Pro on my computer then some how allow them to be abel to access it so we can store our files.  If anyone can assist me with this I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

0 Likes
Brad-DRI

The key thing is that the DroboPro is a direct attached storage solution so you will need to connect the DroboPro to a computer on your network and ensure that the computer can see the Smart Volumes you setup on the DroboPro.   You can use the USB or Firewire port for that or you can use the iSCSI port as well for connecting directly to a computer.    Once the DroboPro is connected then you can work with the Verizon support team to see how you would share out your new storage volumes on the network.  These volumes will look like a regular hard disk in your system so any directions that help you share out your hard disk on the network will work with the DroboPro.

Hope this helps.

Brad

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dalbeck wrote:

Brad-DRI,

I am trying to share the Drbo Pro outside of my network.  I have a business with 2 partners who do not live in the same house as I do.  I want to setup the Drobo Pro on my computer then some how allow them to be abel to access it so we can store our files.  If anyone can assist me with this I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

To do what you want to do you need to decide what method you want to use to share the storage and that will determine for you how you want to open your firewall/router to enable this.

I believe t e typical ways would be via Terminal services (TS) or Virtual Private Network (VPN) though maybe data robotics have some software to do it.

Whichever way you go I think you are going to need to connect a machine on your network to the Drobo device to share the drives/folders/files.  You probably would want to do this from a server class machine as it will have TS and VPN services available.

0 Likes