Severe East Coast Routing Issue with FiOS Peer (Qwest)
jc2607
Enthusiast - Level 1

I canceled my Verizon FiOS account today due to a long-standing issue with one of your peers (Qwest, aka Century Link). I tried to offer some feedback to your tech support reps this afternoon but the scope of this issue went over their heads. This issue may only affect a few hundred Verizon FiOS customers in this area, but the issue is so severe that the FiOS service is practically offline between the hours of 5:30 PM - 12:00 AM on weekdays for a number of east coast endpoints (namely--but certainly not limited to--those using Amazon AWS servers). 100% of the affected routes (throughput plumeting to 50 - 200 Kbps, latency skyrocketing to 5000+ms, etc.) utilized a Qwest handoff around the 6th hop, while 100% of the unaffected routes did not. Using a VPN to modify the route to these endpoints was the only solution that worked--and it did so 100% of the time. If you would like more information on how to reproduce this issue, please contact me.

Re: Severe East Coast Routing Issue with FiOS Peer (Qwest)
Treeeater
Enthusiast - Level 3

Are you referring to the slow download speeds that occurs in the evening hours? If yes, how exactly did you get around this issue? Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Severe East Coast Routing Issue with FiOS Peer (Qwest)
DMVForumName
Enthusiast - Level 2

As they said:  "Using a VPN to modify the route to these endpoints was the only solution that worked--and it did so 100% of the time."

0 Likes