Should I use multiple routers?
GeorgeC

I have Verizon FIOS at home with two computers (laptop and desktop) using WIFI.  The verizon-supplied router is located on the ground floor of my house, but our home office and desktop computer is on the 3rd floor.  We have been having problems on the desktop with dropped wifi connections.  I suspect it is because we live in an older house with thick plaster walls and/or interference from cordless phones / baby monitors / microwave / etc.  I'd like to move my router to the third floor office, where I have a fios coaxial jack.  The problem is that I currently use the router for other wired ethernet connections on the first floor, so I would lose functionality by doing so.  Also, I'm afraid that the dropped connection problems would then start to affect the laptop.

My question is, can I simply buy a second router and attach it to the coaxial jack on the third floor, using it as a wired connection to the desktop?  If so, can I buy a router or modem for that purpose on the internet, or do I have to buy one through Verizon?  What type of router (obviously would need a coaxial signal input) should I get?  If not, is there a better solution that I am overlooking?

0 Likes
Re: Should I use multiple routers?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

the quick answer is no.  only one router can be connected directly to the verizon system.

To hook up multiple routers, you would have to run a cable from one router to another.

Rather than installing a second router, one idea that may work is to use Ethernet over power.  This is a device that will connect to your computer upstairs and plug into the electric, it would have a second box that would connect to the router downstairs. This would allow the upstairs computer be hardwired to the router downstais via the electric wires in the house. This is a great system. (when it works).

Take a look at this article

http://dailycupoftech.com/2008/09/17/why-i-switched-to-ethernet-over-power/

http://www.ehow.com/how_4662693_use-ethernet-over-power-outlets.html

http://blogs.computerworld.com/node/5644

0 Likes
Re: Should I use multiple routers?
Justin46
Legend

George,

I have a Verizon Actiontec router at one end of the house and my wife's desktop is at the other. At times the wireless signal was not too great for her desktop. So what I did is use a Motorola NIM-100 to connect the ethernet connection from her desktop to the coax and thus use the coax for her internet connection back to the Actiontec.

Here is a link to a PDF showing my complete network: Link The part of possible interest to you is the part in the dotted box. You can buy a NIM-100 on eBay fairly cheaply I understand, and it works just great (I did not have to buy mine, I already had mine from when I initially installed FiOS internet, it was part of the hardware Verizon used back then). The splitter is required as the NIM-100 is not bi-directional and you need communication back and forth between the STB and the router. usually any Verizon tech will give you a two-way splitter free.

You can also use a second Actiontec router in the same way, although you would need to go in a do some configuration work so that it only performed the coax/ethernet connectivity stuff.

Just another way to solve the problem.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes